RAM timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind vDIMM depends entirely on what type of RAM you're using, TCCD chips with brainpower PCB loves voltage and you can generally max out your vDIMM with 'em (unless of course you're using a lanparty with 4v options). The nice thing about TCCD chips is raising the voltage will often allow you to tighten up your timings.

Same being said for generic value RAM, chances are you try and pump 3v through them they'll end up frying, I suggest investing some cash in some new RAM since your current stuff has horrible latency. I've seen some Twinmos floating around here than can handle high vDIMM and has really tight timings for 100 bucks or so.

As Nubius mentioned, it's crucial to run prim95 and memtest86 every time you increase your RAM speed, if it errors or crashes that's a sign you should loosen up your timings.

Yeah I've just put those twinmos in my favs because I wind up suggesting them a lot:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062

they are $84.41 now, pretty damn cheap.

Another note, theres no point in really going to far above 3v with TCCD, BH-5's are the ones that really like voltage and will hit high FSB's and tight timings with lots of juice....TCCD's are known for high FSB's on decent timings with little voltage

I don't know anything about this memtest86+ you speak of. I did a search on google, and found a site where I can download it, but do I want to get a pre-compiled bootable ISO or what?

yes precompiled, the other option is the source which basically means it's the code in which if you knew how to code, you could change how the program works and basically make it your own.

The ISO file? I tried it and my computer doesn't recognize the file... what do I need to get my computer to recognize it?

Another reason I love my new DFI, memtest built right into the CMOS and runs automatically. :)

Precombiled ISO is what you want.

edit - Nubius! You're the one that whores those twins around that I'm always thinking of :p

Any idea why my computer doesn't recognize the ISO file? What do I need to download so that it'll see what the file is so I can run it?

edit - Nubius! You're the one that whores those twins around that I'm always thinking of
Damn straight, the only reason anyone knows of them around here is because I whore them out as such and preach about their OC'ability and "Diamon in the rough" potential.

Wayniac - you put the file on a bootable CD, you run memtest before you get into windows.

Prime95 blend test mod and memtest86+ test your RAM, if you know your RAM is overclocked and it fails in either of those two tests then you will obviously need to loosen timings or give it more voltage
which one is safer...more voltage or loosen the timmings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom