RAM timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
How exactly do I know when I need to loosen timings and how much I need to loosen them? My situation is this. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and have overclocked the FSB from 200 to 250. I made the number for the RAM 166 so it works on a 5:6 ratio. I want to overclock it farther, because I know I can get at LEAST another 30 out of the FSB. My question is simply: how do I know when I need to loosen or change RAM timings OR voltage supplied to it?

sorry Wayniac i can't answer your question but i saw i another thread were you asked about locking your BIOS,right? Anyways i didn't respond because it was someone else's thread but all i had to do in bios was switch it auto to manual. On manual it's suppose to be set at 66:33.Hope this helps, it worked for me but then i do have an Intel instead of a AMD....not sure if that matters.

So just to make sure, I lower the timings and when it is unstable I put it back? Sounds good... it just seems weird because I overclocked my CPU from 1.8 GHz to 2.3 GHz and my RAM timings are at 2.5-3-3-7. I don't know... just seems kinda fast to me... I've seen other people overclock and they're at something like 2.5-4-4-10 or so.

All RAM timings are different depending on what combination of hardware you have. They have those timings and the same memory you do, but a different mobo and cpu so they will be different. You just have to learn what they alll are and what they do. It's really trial and error after that. Just mess around, see what works and what dosent.

And read that guide several times over. You will catch many new things everytime, and that is the best way to learn it.

See... here is my main question for RAM timings. As you can see, I've overclocked my processor from 1.8 GHz to 2.3 GHz. To get the FSB to raise to 250 from 200, I changed the RAM to 166 for a 5:6 ratio... here is where my question is. CPU-Z has an SPD timings table. It says that when my RAM ratio is set at 200, the timings should be 3-4-4-8. It says that at 166 it should be 2.5-3-3-7 and finally it says that at 133 it should be 2-3-3-6. I was wondering if this applies when overclocking too. My RAM is currently running at something like 410 MHz with timings of 2.5-3-3-7 and a FSB of 250. If, for example, I raised the FSB to 290 and dropped the ratio to 133, would I make the timings 2-3-3-6 like CPU-Z says to, or just keep them higher because it is also overclocked?

I honestly couldnt help you too much with timings as of right now, since I havent messed with the hands on. I have only readf about them. What I do know is that you want to strive for a 1:1 ratio. Where the CPU and RAM are running at the same speed. 5:6 will cause a bottleneck, and anything other than a 1:1 ratio will also cause a bottleneck because one is waiting for the other to finish.

Talk to Gaara, he seems to know his timings pretty well.

Wayniac said:
Hey Gaara, any input?

:)

I dont think he's around yet, havent seen any posts from him today. He's usually on at night (night for me anyway). That will be in about 4 hours or so I would presume.

you know to loosen your RAM timings when it's not stable, simple as that.

Prime95 blend test mod and memtest86+ test your RAM, if you know your RAM is overclocked and it fails in either of those two tests then you will obviously need to loosen timings or give it more voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom