PC keeps detecting something that is not there,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hi, My old Packard Bell PC keeps detecting a PCI multimedia audio devise that is not even installed. It has audio in the mother board which does not work so I have a sound card in it but not in a PCI slot. All the plugged in stuff is accounted for and the drivers are installed. Every time I boot it it says new device so I have tried to find a driver on all the driver cds and 98 disk I have and it can't find any and says unknown device. It won't tell me what it is. Any one have a idea what is happening? Tom

It has a linksys fast ethernet 10/100 network card for cable online. The sound card is in the ISA slot. These are the only cards in it. Tom

And you sound you said it works fine? when did it first start happening? Did you add anything to the computer hardware/software right before it started?

Tom....is your sound ok?
Cause if your sound is ok with your other card...chances are you uninstalled the sound functionality on the mother board.
So, everytime your PC reboots, it will detect it again. If your sound works fine with the other card, then DON'T uninstall the other sound "card". Instead, disable it.

-Michael

Sound works fine, It has done it since I got it going with a clean install of windows 98.

As near as I can tell it is a Packard Bell model 604. Did PB make there own mother boards? I can't find what looks like a name or model number on the board. I was thinking if I knew what board it was I could look for drivers for it. Tom

Yes, this really sounds like an integrated sound card on the board. If you have another sound card and it is working fine, I would just disable the other device that Windows keeps detecting. The Win98 disk won't have the drivers for this. If you can find the Motherboard make/model then you can most likely, acquire a disk or driver of some kind and install the drivers for the sound. However, having both sound "cards" installed might give you grief when you are playing any muisc, videos, etc. So, in the end, even after installing the drivers for it, I would disable the device.
I don't recall PB making any motherboards....However, that was a while ago. Perhaps there is a model number somewhere on the board itself. If so, type some of the characters in on google.com or driverguide.com and you should get an idea of the manuf.

-Michael

-Michael

OK I will just disable it and not worry about it, Some day I would like to put in a PCI video card because the video is not real great with the built in video. Tom

TomW, I have the same problem. I'm using P4 with sound onboard. This problem happens after I install some programs and it can't be solve when I uninstall them. The sound is very good so I think the sound card or sound onboard is not the cause. The only way I know to solve this problem is reinstalling winXP. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom