Removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoe!

Solid State Member
I recently had Cogeco's F Secure AV software ( Cogeco F-Secure )and uninstalled it. When I went back to check the folders, they were still there and I couldn't delete them. The message I got was:

Cannot delete domainNames.dat: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is currently not in use.

I have tried deleting in safe mode and it gave me the same message. Cogeco's tech department had only 1 suggestion - system restore to the point before it was installed. He said that it was a pc problem.

Questions I have:
1. I don't know much about system restore - will I lose anything (documents, games, etc)?
2. Can these files (there is more than just the one) be deleted without using system restore?
3. What kind of prob could I have with the pc?

Thanks all,

E!

right click the folders. If the read-only box is checked, uncheck it. Start from the top and work down, sometimes you cannot uncheck it if it is a sub-folder of one that is also read only

lol
also make sure that the folder belongs to you. then delete it. if you cannot do it this way go through your command prompt and delete the pesky thing.

I have forgotten how to take control of a folder, sorry.

You may also want to download windows washer and just 'bleach' the file.

PS
as for the restore point, no it should not take anyfiles with it :)

Re: MS-DOS

Glider said:
Restart in true MS-DOS mode;

Use the 'DELTREE/Y' command to delete.

I am unsure exactly how I would do this. Could you be more specific plz. I looked in msconfig and couldn't see anything offhand.

Thanks all,

E!

Restart computer;

When it is booting up press F8 repeatedly;

Select the number corresponding to 'ms-dos';

type in 'DELTREE/Y (FILE NAME)' which might be 'DELTREE/Y domainNames.dat' with a space in between the Y and File Name and no Brackets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom