Windows 2000 as a Web server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobStewart

Solid State Member
Ok here is my situation.

I work for the Canadian Government, I am trying to set up a basic web server so that people from across the country can log onto a message board (probably something simple like phpBB)

I have a dedicated machine here running windows 2000 Advanced Server. Here is my problem, I know 2000 Server, but I have never had to set one up before so this is going to be a bit of a challenge.

I have 3 options on how to go about this:

1) Break open some texts and see if I can dig up some info and get it done

2) Wing it and hope for the best, this worries me since I am at Department of National Defence, security issues might come up, and it might take forever with trial and error, (which I have been trying so far)

3) Find an online tutorial I can wing through that shows step by step on how to go about this, and different options, but so far I havent seen something of that nature out there just yet.

Am I better off scrapping the Server 2000 idea all together and just going to something like Apache? Would that be a better option for me?

My background is more consulting and programming then it is networking, so I am sort of drifting into uncharted waters, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doesnt really make sense does it?

I mean I literally have unlimited reasources in computer equipment, software and bandwidth. Why let someone else do a half assed job and then thats one more person I would have to deal with.

The Ministry of National Defence isnt too keen on letting someone else handle their communications.

If the ministry of national defense is remotely involved, why are you asking this here? Not being a jerk or anything, butyou are already giving out too much information to the public by saying that a major computer system in Canada is running Windows 2K Adv. Server.

Your best bet would be to put someone on payroll to help you. An outside consultant, maybe someone who works closely to the government. There has to be someone in the country who works with the governement that knows exactly how to do what you want to do.

In all seriousness, your post just fueled the stereotypes involving Canada.

Actually the information isnt private at all. A Major computer system? one stand alone webserver with a messageboard running on it isnt major at all, its a pet project.

Is the entire gov't running on that? hell no.

Am I starting a little side project that has little to no signifigance at all in the scheme of things? yes.

Im setting up a message board for some IT personelle to log on and talk about any computer issues they might have, personal or otherwise.

Its casual and something I am doing on my own time as a gesture to people who are stuck in the arctic in the middle of butt **** nowhere who want to stay up to date with anything going on in the world of computers, or simply shoot the shit. The only affiliation this project officially has with the military is that they are giving parts and software to it, nothing else.

For web servers, go with Apache and not Windows. All the big .COM's use Apache, it's just wonderful. I would say wing it, but like you said, that would not be reasonable. Your best bet would be to either get a ton of books and learn it, or bring in an outside consultant to help you set it up. Since the government is providing you with the software I'm sure they could provide you with someone to configure it, or at least recommend someone who would be of use.

RobStewart said:
Actually the information isnt private at all. A Major computer system? one stand alone webserver with a messageboard running on it isnt major at all, its a pet project.

I meant that from a hacker's standpoint. Any amount of information a hacker can get about a certain system is of huge use. Knowing what operating system you run for a server is not a thing you really want to let people know, as it is one less thing they have to find out themselves and one step in making their jobs as hackers easier. You want to keep your computer system as secret as possible, if it is a server anyway, especially if it is rather important like the one you are doing.

Yeah, Apache was my next move, Ive used it a bit and I am more familiar with it. Just ordered a bunch of books on it as well, just want to learn enough to get me up and running here, anything else is gravy.

Something like Apache is pretty indepth. There are so many things you can do with it, and I want to say that it is open source but I'm not entirely certain. If so, that means it is unlitmitedly customizable and you can do an un limited amounted of stuff with it. Good work going with Apache. However, i would bring someone in and let them at least help you so they can show you things that you will probably never learn from books. They will show you things you didnt even know you could do, and things to make doing other things easier. The books show you the most complicated way of doing something, because it knows that when you know that you will be able to do anything that is easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom