Old Question Perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

honsbeek

Baseband Member
HI,

Is it at all possible to not have windows or internet explorer to save history in the first place. How do I set my system so that
no recent visited sites (history) and also recently used files (documents, jpegs etc) can be found back by an other user.

thank you

Ralph (newbie)

Somewhere in the advanced settings in IE there is the option to clear all temporary Internet files when IE is closed.

Try This

Set your 'History' in 'Internet Explorer' to save history for only one day and turn of 'Autocomplete' through 'Internet Options'.

Go to the registry by:

Start > Run > Regedit

and search through the listings of 'MRU' etc, you never new this was here and was easily acessible to anyone.

Get a program like 'Privacy Guardian' which is free, run it when you want 'surfing history' wiped or simple set it so that it runs on each start-up and will automatically wipe everything for you.

Click the link at the bottom of this post to read up on 'Microsoft' underhand tactics.

Alternatively mate you should try 'Opera' or 'Firebox' they are very good Browsers and work well within the Windows system, i.e. there are no conflicting problems. I didn't switch over sooner because I didn't realise it was only a matter of downloading them and that the Browser sets up the rest for you. They are very user friendly and they can be easily configurated to dump all cookies after each surf and you can turn of 'autocomplete' and they don't hide unaccessable 'index.dat' files on you like IE.

hmmm

I see that,

but i was wondering if I could hack the system so internet explorer doesn't record it in the first place, not erase after or during ...

any more tips ?

thanks
Ralph

If you start shutting off features in any browser your surfing experience will become unbearable. Most of these references of were you've been and what you did that are placed in various different folders makes it possible for your browser to us the back button, reload pages quickly and every other eventuality you could think of.

If it's possible it will probably have something to do with altering the registry.

You can't delete 'index.dat' files which store all this anyway, Windows always recreates the file if you delete it but it doeswipe and reduce it to it's default size.

Utility Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom