core names

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
kinda confused, what's the difference between san diego,venice and winchester cores? they're all 90nm but they all run in the athlon 64s

1 Thing i have to say about AMD. at least they have cool names for their cores like winchester, sledgehammer, and san diego

Intel has kinda weak and g@y names like prescott, northwood, and wilamette.

See what I mean by weak names????????????????

Sounds a little to British countryside for me but the AMD sounds like its going to blow your head off if you say its name wrong.

-Ryan

Well, AMD does have Venice... and I suppose that it would fit into the "wimpy" name category, but knowing the past names of the cores for AMD, for some reason, Venice just sounds cool:)

san diego - 1mb cache; SSE, SSE2, SSE3
venice - 512kb cache; SSE, SSE2, SSE3
winchester- 512kb cache; SSE, SSE2

san diego has 1mb cache unlike the others, and san diego and venice (rev.E, newer cores) have SSE3 instructions and the winchester doesn't

San Diego's are exactly the same as Venices, except they have an extra 512kb L2 cache
Winchester's are the first 90nm Athlon 64's, which can't reach very high clock speeds compared to all the others.

Venices and San Diego's are the latest ones, which overclock really well, and run on low voltages (1.4v)

also like DiabloII said, they have SSE3 insrtuctions.
Intel first designed SSE3, it has 13 extra instructions, but Venices/San Diegos only use 11. the other 2 are for Hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom