XP not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Baseband Member
my friend had brought a system of his to hostel for our use there.. it has been 2 yrs since he has brought it.. Celeron-1.2 GHz, 40 GB HDD, Mercury motherboard, 128 MB SD RAM (for study purposes). I hav installed XP thrice on it. each time after installation after 2 days when the OS is selected from boot menu , screen goes blank. other OS is 98.i tried it in safe mode and formatted two drives in which the OS was installed twice(3 drives :first installed in C:, then in D:, now 98 in C:,XP in D:. i didn't format E: drive since all necessary data was moved in it.
I scanned with AVAST once which showed some files in E: to be infected with Walla virus , it couldn't be repaired.. we don't have the mother board CD as it was lost and thus can't set up VGA & sound drivers for 98,, anyway to obtain drivers?????? plz help....:confused:

There's people on here who know much more than me and will be able to help you further but I think the problem may have something to do with too little RAM. If I remember rightly, XP needs at least 256MB to run properly.

actually, XP requirements say 128 MB is recommended, 64 MB is okay but limits features. But the RAM is still low, however. Maybe the XP is pirated?

wormy!!!
ok bro here is how to fix the worm.
press: cntrl+alt+del -> click the processes tab
look for one entries:
wizard.exe update.exe toolbar.exe support.exe q322593.exe fun.exe faq.exe
If you see any of those, end them.

Now that you have that done, go to start -> run -> type 'regedit' Now your registry should come up. navigate here: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>txtfile>shell>open>command

On the right... you see (default)
make sure that the data is pointing to your system32 folder.
then right click and hit modify, make sure that ends with %1

do the same with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\shell\open\command

In the registry again navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft ->
Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run

delete this entry on the right, Win32 = "%System%\Win32.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom