Built my first dual core today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but windows, and most current programs and games are not yet optimized to take advantage of dual core yet. It wil actually be slower until programs slowley start to convert.

I think you guys are wrong.. I've been searching the net and i havent found anyone that has said anything along those lines.. Anandtech did a review and said they installed windows to their dual cores and not a word was mentioned about limited capability..

Like i said before.. Sandra 2001 wouldnt have any kind of support for dual cores.. If it needed to be coded in to take advantage of all 4 cores then it would've given me a 22kmips benchmark instead of 41kmips.. The benchmark is exactly what it should be for a quad core machine..

Also, windows home is limited to 1 socket.. Windows pro can use 2 sockets.. Server is 4+ sockets.. i've been told that windows grows increasingly less efficient with the more processors that you add to it. SGI sells a quad processor (4 socket) workstation that comes with windows server installed.. I highly doubt SGI would sell something if it didnt work the way it should. Also, dell sells quad processor (4 socket) servers with the option for win 2k server, and 2k3 server .. But they're likely to sell something that doesnt work =p

Well, just take a look at the game benchs on the dual cores. Most come out behind the single cores.

Maybe its not that they dont have dualcore support. Maybe its that games dont have SMP support period. Which would explain for the low game benchmarks and the huge application benchmark gains on the dualcores. Almost everything is coded with smp support anymore... With games being pretty much the only exception.

senseless said:
Maybe its not that they dont have dualcore support. Maybe its that games dont have SMP support period. Which would explain for the low game benchmarks and the huge application benchmark gains on the dualcores. Almost everything is coded with smp support anymore... With games being pretty much the only exception.
believe what you want...

I verified it today.. The only thing that you need for a program to work on a dual core is SMP support. A lot of programs have SMP support but its all about how its coded in. Some programs are designed for use on dual processor systems, these programs (nuendo for one) will not take advantage of dual cores because they do not have LEGITIMATE smp support. However, if i pull out one of the chips (only 1 275 remaining) nuendo will use both cores of that single processor. A good example would be the windows xp 64bit extension pack.. Although the extensions allow for 64bit programs to be ran it isnt a legitimate 64bit operating platform.

Anyway.. i took screenshots of some of my benchmarks they will follow this post.. I haven't done any real application testing yet other than nuendo. I was going to load up quake 3 (i was told its supposed to have SMP support), aswell as the 64bit version of farcry (going to install 64bit 2003 server on the system tomorrow).. Although im unsure if farcry has smp support or not, i assume so ... we shall see.

cpu-arithmetic.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom