Missing CD-Rom Drive In Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiplash8666

Beta member
hello everyone, i have a problem with an old Win 98 pc (it wont run any higher, Pentium 150 with mmx). when ever the pc boots into windows, the cd-rom drive is missing under my computer. i have triple-checked my connections and the cd-rom drive is detected when i request to "start the pc with cd-rom support" on the Windows 98 Startup Disk. I have tried re-installing windows about 5 times and each time the cd-rom drive is missing. this is really hacking me off because i also need the cd-rom drive to install the drivers for all my hardware. does anyone have a solution to the problem? cheers

What Brand of CD-ROM is it? Does the BIOS detect the drive? Try the drive in another PC? How old is the drive? Firmware update?

It's a sony cd-rom drive, the bios dosnt detect any cd-roms only hard drives, ive tried it in a windows xp pc and it works fine, its 3 years old, ive checked and i have the latest drivers/firmware

Make sure your optical drives are connected. And they have the appropriate jumper settings.

the drive that is connected to the end of the IDE cable should be Master and the drive on the middle part of the IDE should be slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom