k, what when wrong on yalls first builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh, i believe i can do it without cutting my self, now without messing anything up, thats another story

It always happens that you are going to run into a snag. Especially when you know whay you are doing, it is very easy to overlook something.

1. I had a Gateway that I was upgrading the memory on back in the day. I had it apart, swapped the memory, and got nothing but long loud beeps. Non stop. I was FREAKING OUT to say the least! Since this was back in the day, my dad told me not to open the computer because i didnt know what I was doing and i would break things (typical dad). After some time of freaking out, I realizsed I forgot to put the new memory in. Popped the sticks in, booted right up no problems. :D

2. This has happened to me almost everytime with new systems, but, like previous, it was just due to my overlooking. Whenever i would disconnect power from the mobo, and put it back, I would always forget the 4 pins power connector on the mobo and freak out when my computer wont turn on! I've done that SOOO many times, but not anymore. That is on of the first things I connect. Sometimes I dont even disconnect it.

3. I dont really know if this one applies, but it may. I was working at a big retail store back when the FX5200 cards were brand new. I wanted one, so I used my <::cough cough::> discount to get one. I had to open the box and remove it, and the shelf was right near the managers desk. So I would walk by, put a huge slit in it with my knife, and keep walking. Everytime I would pass, I would quickly rip off a chunk of the box on the back. Little by little, over the next few hours, I got the card out. It had no ESD bag!!! The card was within two peices of plastic the size of the box, and that served as the ESD protection. So, for some reason beyond me, I took several peices of paper and made a big envelope with them, stapling all the sides together, and transporting it home in a breifcase, along with several other things that I used my discount to get. What I did not realize was that the paper was laser printer paper, which can hold a charge very well. By the time I had gotten home, it fired. However, i was unaware of this. I threw it in my computer, turned it on, and errors. I was running an AMD 2400+ at the time. After all the errors were said and done, and I boiled it down to the GFX card, I yanked it and threw the old one back in. Booted up, but extremely slowly. The BIOS only recofnized it as an 1800+, at 1500MHz (The 2400 was @ 2ghz). And it was SLLLOOOOWWWWWW. I even tried my hand at Doom3 on that thing, but to no avail. Needless to say, the board was toast. Whenever I tried to bump it back up to 2ghz, it's normal operatinn frequency, it would not boot. Actually, as I'm typing this I realize that I was just trying to OC it the wrong way. Hmmm....

But anyway, the computer steadily got slower. I had already bought new parts, Intel this time, could you have guessed? By the time I finally gave up on the board, you could type a short sentance in notepad, go get a sandwich, take a crap, rub one out, and come back just in time to see the letters SLOWLY starting to appear on the screen. The chip was fine though, my brother is using it with a nice ASUS mobo.

That is why I am adamantly against MSI, and to a lesser extent, AMD.

Dont think it was relevant to the topic, but I had to type it.

The moral of the story? Dont stand up in boats.

charles_scott said:
:-\

MSI makes some of the best boards around...... Which MSI board was it?

MSI K7 Ultra... I think. Something like that, I hated it to say the least. And I would have to argue with you on that statement greatly.

well i managed to build my first puter alrighty, but then i had to mess around in the bios just for the heck of it. there was this "agp strenght" setting or something like that and the manual told nothing about it. so i changed it from auto to something else, i think it was a letter? booted the thing, and bang, no signal or picture in monitor! otherwise it worked "fine". i didn't understand to clear the cmos, but i figured how to change the setting back by looking the manual's pictures about bios and counting how many presses of certain keys i had to press! haha! boy was i relieved when the monitor started showing a pic again!

Him said:
It always happens that you are going to run into a snag. Especially when you know whay you are doing, it is very easy to overlook something.

2. This has happened to me almost everytime with new systems, but, like previous, it was just due to my overlooking. Whenever i would disconnect power from the mobo, and put it back, I would always forget the 4 pins power connector on the mobo and freak out when my computer wont turn on.
lol noob question but what is the 4 pin thing for? I'm always nervous when putting on AS5.

4 pin and AS5 have NOTHING to do with each other. ::confused::

The 4 pin is a power connector, 3.3v rail I believe (dont hold me to that though). It was first only used by P4 boards, but now AMD uses it. I think it is used to power the chipset, but I could be wrong.

AS5 is heatsink compound, lol. Dont be vervous, that is when you screw up. Just place a dot in the middle of the cpu about the size of a grain of rice for Intel, and a grain and a half for AMD. When you lock on the heatsink, it will spread evenly on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom