Weird setting on XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosey_krh

Solid State Member
I upgraded my computer a couple of years ago from 98SE to XP Pro. So, I have never used XP Home. Now, I have bought myself a second computer that has XP Home installed on it.

It is doing something really weird that I have never seen XP Pro do, so I don't know why it's doing it or how to stop it. But after the machine sits inactive for a few minutes and the screen saver comes on, when you sit down to use it again it has changed from showing your desktop to showing a login screen. I don't have multiple user accounts set up on it, but I have seen a Windows login screen for multiple users and this is the exact same screen. It has a button labeled "owners desktop" and I actually have to click that to get back to where I was before the screen saver.

This is very annoying to me, and doesn't make any sense. Is there any way to disable it or turn it off? I would love to know how.

Thank you.

Go to control panel and double click on User Accounts, Then click on "Change the way users log on or off." Uncheck the "Use the welcome screen" box and click on Apply Options. Close all screens and it's all done.

Drworm2005.

you could also right click on the desktop, select properties, select the screen savers tab, and then uncheck the box that says to show logon screen when exiting screen saver... this way you don't have to log on every time the computer starts...

Thanks to both of you, problem solved. I actually used The Dark Lord's method because it was much quicker to get to, but I did make note of both methods and I really appreciate the advice.

I love this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom