Memory Speed, slower than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

illippinno

Baseband Member
Just wondering...

I have 3 sticks of ram: 1 pc2700 (333) 512mb, and 2 pc3200 (400) 256mb of ram installed on my asus p4p800 motherboard, which supports 266/333/400 ram speeds.

however, when my pc boots, it tells me that it detects my ram in 266 speed, even though i have the 333 and 400 ram speeds.

my question is, is there a way to change my ram speed to boost it up to 333 (if there is such a way)?

PC3200 is only 333mhz in speed, PC2700 is 266.

Your memory will run at the rate of the slowest chip.

Lostman said:
PC3200 is only 333mhz in speed, PC2700 is 266.

Your memory will run at the rate of the slowest chip.

are you sure about that? cuz in the packages of my ram, it says pc2700 is 333mhz and on the pc3200 its 400 mhz.

oops it was so late at night i gave you completely the wrong solution, sorry illippinno.

what i should have said was change your memory frequency "by SPD" to a percentage that equals 166Mhz for the "resulting frequency". in your case the percentage would be greater than 100% and you may have to set an option to let you use "user defined" settings be fore you can change this.

and yes Lostman is incorrect. pc2700 runs at 333Mhz and pc3200 runs at 400Mhz. these are actual memory speeds after multiplied by the double data rate (2x).

you can only run it in dual channel if you have the same kind of memory and you can only run the pc3200 in sual channel with the 800fsb chip BTW

thanks for the help guys.

but how do i exactly change it in the bios. where in the bios is it located at? i must've checked it already and couldnt find a place where modifying the speed of the ram is located.

i know that not all mobo has the same bios menu, so, just in general, or in your own bios, where do you go to change that?

I have an asus XP motherboard and the option to do this is under advanced chipset features and it is called memory frequency. do you not have the motherboard manual? I assumed your motherboard is the one in your signature?

ekÆsine said:
I have an asus XP motherboard and the option to do this is under advanced chipset features and it is called memory frequency. do you not have the motherboard manual? I assumed your motherboard is the one in your signature?

i may have, somewhere in the scattered clothes and junk in my room. i might've misplaced it, but ill go ahead and check out the bios for that menu. thanks.

Dave, do what automatically? i did not quite follow what you are saying. if you meant the memory is automatically clocked down if you have mixed memory than yes i would agree, but in his case his mobo is adjusting his memory lower than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom