XP keeps shuting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KONQUEST

Beta member
Hi. My system keeps rebooting. I am running a 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB P4 with 2GB of dual channel DDR pc3200. the board i have is a gigabyte GA-8IK1100. im am also useing a SATA 260GB western Digital Drive.

please decribe your problem in more detail. is it rebooting when you try to use the internet or is it shutting down randomly? do you get a warning before it shuts down or none? is it actually shutting down or rebooting?

There is no error message, it just restarts randomly. i left the computer running for a while as a test to see was i triggering this error but it still restarted. i think it may be the memory but im not really sure. i have 4 512mb DIMMs running at dual channel.

lets try to pinpoint where the problem is coming from. i assusme you just built this computer recently? i do not think manufactuerers like Dell, compaq, e-machines would make a computer with a gigabyte motherboard and SATA.

assuming you built this machine yourself, did you always have this problem or did it start up at sometime. most importantly, after this happens you should look in your bios to check your temps. if you are overheating than you would know that it is a cooling issue.

it really does sound like a hardware problem to me, and you could be right about the memory, what is the brand of the memory you have for your pc3200? and you have 4 identical 512MB modules correct or are they different brands?

Hi
I was having similar problems at one time. I was getting a message that XP was shutting down in 1 min and it started countig down in seconds. It may seem obvious but it turned out that I had a virus that caused this. Every couple of minutes my computer would shut down because of an unexpected request from my hard drive. If you have a good anti virus I suggest you run a full system scan:confused

Hi, I'm sure KONQUEST's computer has no virus because XP restarts randomly is its ... daily work :eek: . Anyone who used, is using or will use XP meet this problem. :D
So you don't need to concern about it. :)

I built the system myself, yes. the problem began right from the start. I am useing OCZ memory with copper heatspreaders. I don't think the memory is overheating and the cpu seems fine but it is only useing the stock intel heatsink but it dose have a copper plate and i am useing thermal paste. All the memory is identical. i got 2x 1Gb Dual channel kits.

I told you not to concern about it. But if you want, try this:
Control Panel
-->System
-->Advanced
-->Setting (Startup and Recovery)
-->Deselect Automatically restart :bald:

Its grand. i sorted it out. no problems. just needed to flash the bios. it turns out that the 8IK1100 boards have a problem with memory. it is unable to address more than 1GB but the update sorts this out. thanks everyone*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom