Internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I am currently using dial up internet on my laptop because my cable internet on my desktop computer does not work, i tried bridging connections between the cable modem(USB) and laptop but it came up with an error message saying "Windows has detected an error and has shut down to prevent damage"
i removed the cable internet connection to just use the ethernet card for the internet because it wouldn't bridge, and i figured if i just got another network card i could connect to the laptop with that one.
I had to "reactivate" windows from hardware changes - actually used my backup of wpa.dbl, "never reactivate again after installation" from Microsoftne in tips, tricks and tutorials because i couldn't get to the internet - I have tried manually putting in many IP's and DNS servers but the problem is I can't get the right "gateway" address so it can't connect.
My ISP is Optus cable, my modem is a Motorolla Surfboard SB4100 and my ethernet card is an SMC EZ 10/100

Have you contacted your ISP yet? They will be able to give you your gateway address. I also use static settings for my DNS addresses, etc. I call my ISP about once a month because sometimes they change the DNS that they use and it might be different from which I have input as mine, thus changing my DNS to the ones that they use help speed up my connection speed.
Anywho, I would contact your ISP, they will have the gateway that you should be using.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom