Why can't I overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie_da_man

Fully Optimized
I overclocked my pentium III from 450-to 504 with an 8mb video card. I bought a cheap 32 video card ati radeon 128 (or something like that...neway) and put it in now i can't get any sort of overclock at all. when i go into my bios i raised the fsb from 100 to 133 at multiplier 4.5 but i cant get to 600 mhz, it even if i go to 112mhz it still sais 450mhz in the post. whats up with this??

any help would be great! thx

first off....100 to 133 is a huge leap dude......you're supposed to take overclocking in small steps not just change one number to a bigger number and assume everythings ok.

when raising the FSB your AGP/PCI busses raise too without locking them...sounds like you need to do quite a bit more OC'ing research

my bios only goes from 100 mhz to 112mhz to 133mhz. i wish that it would go up in small incerements, theres also no voltage control. i know u have to lock the agp and pci but i dont know how and i dont think that there is a way. i have an old intel i440bx chipset on my mobo and award bios.

What kind of bios is it? Overclocking is pretty much completely dependant on the bios. If your bios will let you OC you can, if it wont than you simply cannot. Not without a bios flash, anyway. Sounds like maybe your bios dont want you OCing.

Also, like Nubius said, I dont think you locked your AGP/PCI busses. See if you can do that and then try it. If you cannot lock them, dont OC.

well he said he doesn't know if there is the option or if he can so 99.99999999% they aren't locked....and if you can't control your voltage, and it only goes in large increments, then you really shouldn't be trying to OC honestly.

I'm pretty sure the award one if rather limited. The enrgy star thing just shows that it's power rating is EPA certified.Go into your BIOS, at the ery top of it it will tell you what kind it is.

(sorry to butt in but...) My motherboard is a NVIDIA nForce 3 Ultra Chipset Based K8N Neo2. I was just wondering... how do I make sure the AGP and PCI are locked? Is this just the "AGP frequency" because if it is, then it just runs seperately from the FSB on my motherboard.

It goes up with the speed of your FSB, they alll do. Not sure exactly why, you can get someone else to expalain that. There should be some setting that allows you to lock it, so it cannot go up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom