What is needed to run XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the XP disks that came with our new PC. I assume they will only work with this PC and not on another one, I stuck the disk in and the first screen comes up but it stops and says this program may not be used on your computer. It has 98, ME, 2000 and XP on the disk. So I supose to get 2000 I will have to buy it. Tom

MMX technology runs with split voltages unlike the original Pentium. It stands for Multi-Media extensions i believe. MMX introduced 52 new instruction sets that the cpus that came before it didn't have.

Hi everyone, I gave up on the Pionex PC and put the new DIMM and added the hard drive to the old Packard Bell, I think the Pionex has a mother board problem, Anyway the PB now has 128 of ram and only 9 GB of hard drive, the original 3 GB and now I added the 6 GB bigfoot also but it still has only a 266 celeron CPU so it is kinda slow compaired to or newer systemax. I got it to do a clean install of 98 and it has been working OK, Has not locked up yet like the old Pionex did with a M5ALA board and AMD K6-2 400 CPU, The video is not to good in the Packard Bell so I might find a better video card some day, I don't have any info on the mother board to know how to set it up to put in a faster CPU. It has a slot one CPU with a built in sound card and video. I tried to find a name on the board but can't see it unless it is hid behind the power supply. Tom

bandage... i would suggest using windows 200 pro for you machine. 2000 runs better than XP when you have a machine with older components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom