Dont Raise Your Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
This only applies to supercooled computers. I thought this would come in helpful, as I've been insructed wrong on how to do this several times. This was taken from: http://www.phase-change.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1107

I in no way take any credit for the following information. All credit will go to SLI15 over at the www.phase-change.com forums.
---
I've been studying CMOS operation and theory and have been researching specifically what happens when CMOS devices are cooled down to 77K(-196C) to 233K(-40C). It's been proven that CMOS devices perform BETTER with lower voltages when super cooled than with higher voltages and higher voltages lead to poorer performance.

They say the best performance when super cooled comes when the current through a CMOS device is just above the threshhold needed for stable and predicted performance. Since resistances and other parameters dealing with current through CMOS devices improve as temp lowers, current through the device will increase, so voltages can be lowered improving performance(At Same Operating Frequency)

When overclocking, a lot of people just crank up the voltage automatically without a cause/reason for it. From what I've researched and other companies have researched and document, Increasing voltage in supercooled CMOS devices to a level where it greatly exceeds the needed threshold voltage, HURTS PERFORMANCE AND LEADS TO DECREASED RELIABILITY.

If your doing 2 volts to your processor supercooled(-40C and below), your only hurting performance if it can operate stably at the same frequency at a lower voltage. Not only does it perform WORSE, but Reliability decreases drastically.

I've noticed in my HSF air cooled setup, I got marginally better PCmark and 3Dmark scores with lowest stable voltages than with all voltages maxed out on a Voltage modded ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a Barton +2500 OC'd to 2.3GHZ and this is at positive 313K (40C).

WHEN OVERCLOCKING, ONLY BOOST VOLTAGE AS NEEDED, AND IF YOU GAIN NO MORE RESULTS FROM BOOSTING THAT VOLTAGE, GO BACK TO THE LOWEST STABLE VOLTAGE OR ELSE YOUR ONLY HURTING OVERCLOCKING PERFORMANCE AND RELIABILITY.
---

You heard him. Helped me greatly in my OC quest, and this little tidbit of information will go a long way, I can guarantee you that.

Thats OC common knowledge yo, you should know this. You always use voltage as needed. Because obviously with more voltage you will inherit heat, the hotter the current the more friction.

I do know this, but i have been wrongly instructed several times, so I figured I would post this so other n00bs wouldnt learn the wrong thing. Just helping out.

A common misconception thought would be that with a supercooled computer, you could have the voltage as high as you want because all your stuff would be super cooled and you wouldnt have to worry about heat. Thats why I said that it only pertains to supercooled computers. Otherwise, heat would become an issue and to counter that you would have to lower your voltage.

Even if you were supercooled, you'd be an idiot for having such a voltage increase. To much voltage produces an unstable OC. With supercooling or not.

Codeine, I realise that now after Nubius' and I little tiff, you arent going to give me much respect ever. You told me that. But I'm just giving out the information. It's just research, more things for people to learn. No reason to tear into me for posting that. It's just to help some people out. I know that most people already know that, but at the same time, alot of people dont. People will read about how upping the voltage will stabilize your OC, and cooling it will counter the heat that it produces, but will not take into account that there is such a thing as too much. Like i said earlier, just trying to help out because alot of people wouldnt help me and i know that other people will run into the same situation at one point or another.

Even if you were supercooled, you'd be an idiot for having such a voltage increase. To much voltage produces an unstable OC. With supercooling or not.

If your not on DJ's list, i think that qualifiys you.

No one would think that higher voltages on a supercooled system would perform worse, unless you just read what Him posted in post 1.

Since heat is pritty irrelivant if your supercooled, then common sence would tell you that the system woud beable to work faster and perform better with more power/wattage. and since resistance is constant at 1 specific temp, voltage would give you that extra power.

But as Him linked to... there is something about the cmos device that does prosper from this abondant voltage.

Jolancer...if im not on DJ's list, then im an idiot...? Is that what your trying to say..? If so, who gives DJ the power of liberation..? I can careless what that kid puts in his sig, or what he thinks.

Him said:
Codeine, I realise that now after Nubius' and I little tiff, you arent going to give me much respect ever. You told me that. But I'm just giving out the information. It's just research, more things for people to learn. No reason to tear into me for posting that. It's just to help some people out.

For some weird reason, I understand why you will now not respect me. I understand that now you are ALWAYS going to find a way to contradict any of my posts, and if you cant you simply wont post. However, there is no need to start attacking people who agree with me. I somehow managed to offend you, either directly or indirectly, but I dont deserve being treated like that as to my knowledge I did nothing to you. But if you are going to be like that towards me, so be it. I wont lose sleep over it. But there is no reason to be so vindictive towards other people for agreeing with me and not you.

BTW, how is DJ-CHRIS liberating anyone by questioning their sanity?

I only mentioned that you would be an idiot to just raise vcore, and think HEAT is the only limitation. Then w/e his name is, says If your not on DJ's list, i think that qualifiys you.. This part has nothing to do with you, Him. Just some kid coming out of no where.

Jolancer, yes people would think voltage is a limitation, just YOU wouldent..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom