Hard Drive blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid3335

Beta member
Hi: I have a problem with my hard drive, it won't boot. it comes up with a blue screen that states there is a problem with a plug and play driver or seomthing.
I have tried it in another computer and it comes up with the same deal.

I then tried to format it but after the windows cd loads a few drivers the blue screen appears again.

Not only is my hard drive corrupt my motherboard now doesn't boot up. It doesn't go through mem check or anything although if if press delete i can get into cmos. i have tried to reset cmos but it did nothing.

The thing is i have a lot of work i did recently that i really need off the hard drive. i have tried putting in another hard drive but if i put the corrupt one on IDE2 on boot the blue screen comes up again.

Any ideas to recover my data? i have to do it myself giving my drive to someone else is not an option.

Sorry i didn't mean format the drive i meant re-install windows and leaving the file system intact.

thanks

Well to be honest it seems like a motherboard problem most likely. When you put the other hard drive in another computer and tried to boot off of it, it's natural to get bluescreens. You can't just go switching hard drives on operating systems.

Well in both cases, the hard drive being broken or the motherboard being broken data recovery is your first step.

Put the hard drive in another computer, set your hard drive as SLAVE and make sure in the BIOS it is not set to boot from your hard drive. When you do this properly their is no reason for you to not boot off of the other hard drive, so you can get your files.

Step 2 is prevention.
Get soemthing like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155505
This also allows you to put your "bad" harddrive in here and read it from any computer without opening up the case, just plug your hard drive in.
Than get a harddrive for it (or 2, if your current one is dead)

ok, the motherboard is gone. Now i'm only interested in getting my data back.

I put my hard drive into another computer as a slave (and on a different IDE channel)and changed the boot settings so as not to boot from it, but again i got the blue screen.

I then placed the hard drive into an External IDE housing like the one you recommended and as soon as i plugged the USB in it instantly got the blue screen.

Should i give up?
any other ideas?

could this have been caused by a power surge do you think, since the motherboard and hard disk went at the same time?

Puttign the hard drive in a freezer may be an option.

I have never seen a problem like yours before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom