hiding icons software

Status
Not open for further replies.
you beat me to it as well.. but i have soemthing else to throw in, hope no one minds

if u have alot of desktop items some ppl say that it slows ur computer why i dont know so dont ask lol but thats why i have very few... idk maybe im wrong sorry if so

Blitze105 said:
if u have alot of desktop items some ppl say that it slows ur computer why i dont know so dont ask lol but thats why i have very few... idk maybe im wrong sorry if so
This is because anything on your desktop is part of the active-desktop component, and therefore gets refreshed (examined) each time you "view" them. Unlike icons hidden in a folder that you only see (only get viewed) when you try to open the folder.

Think of your desktop as being one big folder that Windows has to open each time you close a maximized window.

Of course, having a rat-nest all over your desktop is not intended use of the desktop. If you're not organized, performance suffers. User error.

You might also want to consider the quick-start menu. It sits discreetly next to "Start" and can hold a very large number of tiems in its pop-up menu.

Yeah, the taskbar is useful too. I keep my most common non-game programs in there. I have the START bar expanded to 2 rows, and have 16 program icons neatly tucked in there for my most commonly used programs.

Windows gives you all the tools to be neat and tidy and have things run smooth. You just have to use them. What you've got is the scenario where the office gave you a great filing cabinet, but you just lumped stacks of papers all over it and yet still wanted it to function the same.

I've placed my quick launch bar up top on auto-hide and use large icons, it holds 25 apps nicely at 1024 X 768. I also made a new toolbar for my music library that resides on my taskbar. As for my desktop icons: my computer, my documents, downloads, recycle bin and add/remove programs. :)

use the desktop cleanup wizard and it will put everything in 1 folder if you set it like that.

just right-click on the desktop, under "arrange icons by" select "show desktop icons". That will get rid of them. I like icons though...

tribalsun said:
That feature is built in to XP.

>> right click on desktop
>> arrange icons by
>> uncheck Show Desktop Icons

When you want your icons back just do the same and check Show Desktop Icons. It's a whopping 2 clicks but your hand will manage to survive. :)

yep, da'h!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom