Are 2 6800 gts really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
diabloII said:
are they worth it? nah, just stick with a 6600gt and then buy a 7800GTX/R520 when i comes out
Im building a comp. Seems like everyone has either the 6800gt or 6600gt...im kind of on a limited budget so 6600gt sounds like the way to go.

Actually it really is like double the graphics....it only does half the work it'd normally half to........look at any SLI benchmarks and it's basically double that of what 1 card would do.......but as far as it's worth it goes, meh I don't really think so...not a big fan of SLI myself....buying a 6800GT now......and then one like a year from now when it's cheap as hell isn't a bad idea, but you gotta hope that the game will even allow SLI because yes the game has to be made to support SLI just like far cry had to be made to support 64bit as well as all future games will.

yeah not even these cards coming out will come close to fully utilizing PCI-E

I don't understand why we made the jump from AGP to PCI-E. A 6800 Ultra runs just as quick on AGP 8x as it does on x16 PCI-E. it just doesn't make sense to me, why change the slot, if the current one works fine? kinda like, why fix it if it aint broke?

upgradability...

as far as I've seen, there is one thing you need to look out for in compatibility: you need 2 of the same Graphics cards. if you get them at once, no problem, except you'd need really deep pockets to do so.

dual GPU's is different to dual CPU's. dual GPU's means they are guaranteed to split the load equally. applications often only suport one CPU, and that's why often that does not give an advantage.

dual GPU's doesn't have to have support from the game: to the game, there is only one graphics card. but the OS, it knows there are 2.
DirectX and the device drivers are what makes games utilize graphics cards. a program sends instructions to the OS and/or DirectX, which utilize the drivers to work the graphics card(s)
if there are 2 GPU's, the program doesn't see that.

that's why I'm down for a dual GPU card :D However I would want it to be able to work on a non-SLI board....one PCI-E slot and a dual GPU card would be nice......but damn this G70 is supposed to require a 400w PSU with 24a on the +12v rail....mines 22a +12v rail 560w PSU =/ kinda sucks.....oh well not like I'll be getting that card anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom