Two fans per knob on a fan controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
I was wondering how well it works when you have a four knob fan controller, and you put two fans (Five 120mm's, 4 80mm's total) off of each output.

Thanks for the help!

Yan B.

depends on the wattage of the fans and how many watts per channel the fan controller is rated at

I was considering tring that my self. I would assume that the two fans wouldnt run as fast as they would with just one fan on that controler channel. If you dont need them to run at full rpm's it would be worth it.

Try it, i havent yet because i dont have more fan than channels right now.

i think it would be fine as long as the wattage being used by both of the fans combined can be handled by the fan controller

I would assume that the two fans wouldnt run as fast as they would with just one fan on that controler channel.
Then you'd assume wrong. I currently have my 2 120mm's on one channel on my sunbeam rheobus...the 2 fans being controlled are the ones for my heatercore in my water cooling setup... Then I'll be having 2 more 120mm's on one channel, and 2 high powered 60mm's on 1 channel, and then the rear fan on it's on channel.

Like anything else....if your fan controller has say like 20w per channel like mine does, and combined your fans would only use 18w, then it will fully power both....but if you had 15w per channel and tried putting on like 3 tornados which suck a lot of power then chances are you'd fry your controller

Just take my advice, do not attempt to install multiple fans on a single channel when using both a generic PSU and controller, the results are not pleasant in the least.

That is why I now possess a rheobus. :)

You don't get half the power when using a Y splitter, when there is ample power on the rail. If there wasn't ample power, than it wouldn't get the full amount of power each fan needs.

Whatever the case, it simply is not wise or practical or advisable to do what you are saying. Get additional controllers, or use the molex connectors comming from the PSU.

Him - you couldnt possibly more wrong......not only is it perfectly safe assuming you aren't trying to put 3 tornados on the rail it's completely practical...it's obviously not a case of needing more power connectors but the simple fact he wants to control them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom