need advice on hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangedrink

Solid State Member
hey, I am trying to build a computer that is pretty powerful, yet not too expensive. So far I think I am on the right track with most of the parts I have selected, but I just want to hear your guys' opinion on how good they are and whether or not they are all compatible with each other.

processor --- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester integrated into chip FSB 512 KB L2 Cache Socket 939.

Motherboard--- CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory-- CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Video-- SAPPHIRE 100595L-BL Radeon X700PRO 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video
OR
A sapphire x800PRO 156MB card.....which would only be about $100 more.

Not bad, make sure that you run RAM in dual channel so that there isnt a system bottleneck.

Sorry to post again, but if you can try to get another type of RAM other than value select. You will get better results.

majistic said:
Sorry to post again, but if you can try to get another type of RAM other than value select. You will get better results.

Unless you are overclocking, ValueRAM has nearly identical performance compared to more expensive RAM. The difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-3-3-8 times is something like 1%, literally. Basically unless you're overclocking, there is no difference.

the whole x700 and x800 line are crap for the money

a 6600gt would easily be a better choice

aspire.comptech said:
get an evga 6600gt instead of the x700 pro
and get the venice core 3000+ instead of the winchester

Yeah these are great idea's, ATI is currently down right now. A 6600GT heavily outpeforms the x700 pro, and is very close to the x800 pro's.

Yeah and between that corsair and good ram, their will be a 2% difference basicly, so it's not worth it to get much better ram. If your trying to be cheap just cut down the RAM speed than up FSB to make it PC3200 speeds again and you got a nice CPU overclock than.

Also, I would reconsider that motherboard, a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D will be slightly more expensive but worth it.

yeah, after looking at that 6600 GT I think it would be much better. Also, this may be a dumb question but is there really any difference between buying a stick of 1 gig memory vs. 2 512's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom