An Unexpected Jump in Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
I finally got my motherboard back from the RMA with ASUS. Well, I was able to rebuild everything on my own (First time, I need to be able to do this, being an IT Major) Also, I replaced the processor since the old one fried.

Here are some stats.

Pentium 4 2.0GHZ 400FSB
ASUS P4P800SE
512MB of Corsair XMS DDR500 2-3-3-6 Latency
Hitachi SATA 80GB HD
Radeon 9800SE PowerColor 128MB 256 bit
Standard Mid Tower Case, two intake (one dying) and one exhaust (PSU)

My FPS in Counter Strike was between 20 and 60, and Halo had only a FPS of 7.

Now since the board and CPU fried, I replaced the board with the same thing, and got a P4 3.0 GHZ 800FSB 1MB L2 Cache which is set to HyperThread, and put it into my Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower w/420W PSU, which has a total of 9 fans (overkill)

-
-
-----Now for some reason, my FPS in Counter Strike is a constant 100 and Halo is now around 70. I'm sure as hell not complaining about this incredible unexpected boost in performance, but can someone PLEASE explain this?---
-
-
-

PS: I fixed this problem already, but the video card was overheating in about two hours althought there are 9 fans. The 7 case fans can all easily be removed, flipped, and inserted. I turned both side case fans into exhaust, and the problem was solved, 7 hours without problems.

doesnt seem very possible, but ill take a stab and say that perhaps your settings arent the same as before in the games... or that your old setup had some major problem holding it back... but congrats if it really runs that good

I am guessing their was a driver conflict with the mobo or video card causing major lack of peformance

I play 1.6 with my clan, UCA (United Corporations of America). We were CAL-O, but dropped out for teh next season to prepare for it since we got our asses handed to us. More then half of our players quit (The Best Ones) and made their own clan, Crazy 8. We got rid of our server since they "upgraded" to windows XP and the ping jumped by 20. The owner works for company in Texas called Quantum Net. They are geting their own gaming servers, and we're getting one for free, as well as free Vent Channel. We host the clan forums. I've only played Source... less then half a dozen times at a LAN cafe. I'm tempted to go out and get it since the computer is running much better. I'm not gonna go so far is to get Doom 3, not until I replace my current video card, and a pair of matched RAM = 1024MB. My RAM is kinda high latency, 2-3-3-6, and only have 512 of it. Its still much faster then I could have hoped for.

Yeah your system will have no proble running source at all

*subliminal valve paid advertising* buy it, BUY IT

Yup. When I played Source, the FPS never dropped below 50 FPS, usually around 70.

I noticed some choppy screens in HalfLife 2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom