Water+comp= no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Daemon Poster
i recently bought a water-cooling system... i installed it completely into my computer on the chipset GPU and processor.... the processor had two outputs and one input, so i used a Y splitter to combine them before they went to the GPU, then onto the chipset... however part of the Y splitter was broken, a small crack.
i began to test just the water-cooling system, with no power hooked up to anything else. the crack began to leak water down the tube and onto the CPU waterblock, a small amount got onto the motherboard, i immediately turned it off and cleaned the water off with paper towels, i then let it dry for 2 days.

So today i hooked up all the power cables and everything, went to start up the computer and NOTHING, the monitor comes on as if its getting a signal but its all black... so the video-card is still sending a signal that i know. i get no beeps to tell me the problem...

i've tried clearing the cmos and cleaning with some air duster... does anyone have any other idea? anything that might make it work? i have an NF7-s v 2.0 xp-m 2400 and 6800gt

Thanks in advance.

they have a massive disclaimer saying you cant do anything to em no matter what, AT BEST they would send me a new Y adapter :D taking the CMOS battery out would just reset the cmos right?

i have an NF7-s v 2.0 xp-m 2400 and 6800gt
wow exact setup as me :D

And yes removing the battery would simply reset the CMOS which you've already done.....

When the monitor comes up but is simply black and your computer doesn't beep that means it's not posting at all and theres a hardware problem......it's either the RAM, mobo, CPU, or graphics card.....so basically you need to have JUST those things plugged in, mind you 1 stick of RAM at that since you're troubleshooting.

This is all assuming you thoroughly cleaned off the leaky area (ouch that sucks man :( , did you get an RBX type CPU block or something...those have 3 barbs...and are a pain in the ass, this is why I got a TDX myself)

Hell if it comes down to it you might want to remove the motherboard from the case and put it on something that doesn't conduct electricity like a wood table......out there try turning it on, if it comes out then it looks like the mobo was being grounded in the case.

If it doesn't come on then remove the RAM....if the computer beeps (mind you of course to hear beeps your case will have to be close enough so you can hook up the PC Speaker)...anywho if it beeps then try reseating the RAM in there...if it goes back to no beeps and no screen then the RAM is faulty.......same theory and process applies to the graphics card.

So if it doesn't beep then something else is causing the trouble....mainly mobo or CPU....

I had my board do the same thing once and I had to take off the heatsink, pull out the CPU....put it in and for whatever reason computer came back up

water cant actually get down under the CPU can it? cause i cleaned everywhere but there... perhaps ill try removing everything including the cpu and recleaning it all with alcohol, but i only have 50% isopropyl on hand, will that do?

and what would you suggest to use for cleaning, what type of cloth or utensil?

water can get anywhere it wants to go my friend :D

But if the leak dripped in such a fashion that it couldn't have possibly moved under there then there shouldn't be worry.

50% SHOULD be enough but in all honesty for cleaning up things you want atleast 70% or higher IMO.

For cleaning I think most people use Q-tips but mind you watch out because if you scrape a resistor it can pull some of the cotton off and leave it on the mobo.

removing it all certainly couldnt hurt at this point

thanks again nubius, i doubt you remember me well but we talked quite a bit in the past... that is the reason for our similar set-ups... but just to tease you i just bought G.Skill Ram and it runs like a goddamned dream... you gotta look into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom