Difference between ClawHammer and San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Hey, i was wondering what is the difference between the FX55 San Diego core and Claw Hammer core... i notice that the San Diego sais 1GHZ FSB, while the ClawHammer has Integrated Into Chip, so i assume that means you can't overclock by changing FSB, is that true? And, is that the only difference?

nah, it's the same thing, I've seen that posted before....but it's like when venice first came out newegg didn't have SSE3 instructions listed which was the whole point of the damn venices lol.....I don't know why sometimes it says "integrated into chip" and other times they don't, guess it depends on who uploads the product or something but that's the same crap either way....the difference however is 1. being the architecture and 2. it has SSE3 instructions like the venice but san diego cores have 1mb of L2 cache where venices have 512kb....

The clawhammer also has 1mb L2 cache, but it doesn't have the SSE3 instructions, not only that but the san diego is 90nm architecture whereas the clawhammer is 130nm

90 will run cooler, all in all san diego is better

Yeah, the sepcifications for some of the AMDs get a bit fuzzy at times. Intergrated into chip simply means that they've built the memory controller into the chip therefore the FSB is eliminated and we have a new high bandwidth, low latency bus, called hypertransport. All socket 939 chips will have the 1GHz Hypertransport speed, which is what the "FSB" speed of the Sandy up there is refering too. Basically, both the Clawhammer and San Diego have intergrated FSB and 1GHz hypertransport buses.

The FSB speed isn't locked on any chip, ever, so don't worry about that ever.

As mentioned above, the San Diego are the superior cores to the Clawhammers for the above listed reasons.

SSE3 adds 13 new instructions, opposed to its predecessor SSE2. I dont completely understand SSE's fully. But 13 new instructions is alot, dont forget Intel invented SSE, not sure if they are responsible for SSE3 though.

aren't the ClawHammer's socket 754, and the San Diego's socket 939? or did the clawhammer's also ship in sockey 939?

lol, well even though that the Clawhammer's are socket 939 and 754 do they both have the same cache? eg. my 3200 has 1MB of cache and its socket 754, but many socket 939 3200's have 512Kb of cache.

your 3200 is a mobile chip. all the a64 mobiles are 754 and are clawhammer cores with 1mb L2 cache.

the other 3200 a64 are winchester and newcastle cores with 512kb L2 cache

pc_boy said:
Hey, i was wondering what is the difference between the FX55 San Diego core and Claw Hammer core...

When did FX-55 become a clawhammer?

I thought they were sledgehammers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom