Hard drive performance (WD740)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanmachine

Beta member
Hey all,

I just build a pretty sweet machine and am having a tough time understanding why my HDD isn't performing up to snuff.

Machine Specs:

Asus P5Ad2-E Premium
P4 3ghz Prescott 530 800mgz fsb
2 WD740 SATA/150, 10k rpm, HDD's (RAID 0)
3 gb ram ocz pc4300

My problem is when I run a File System Benchmark test using SisSoftware Sandra I'm consistantly slower than what I should be. It's telling me my Drive Index is 80MB/s, yet a RAID 0 Maxtor 7200 rpm Drive Index is 84MB/s.

HD Tach tells me my drives are running at 110MB/s, yet a SATA 150 should be running at 150MB/s.

Does a HDD get slower as you install more programs?? I wouldn't think so. I've been using this system for about a week and I can't figure out why it's not running at top performance. My power supply is 400 watts (which should be enough), I've closed all programs, the RAID 0 is setup correctly and I just defraged.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

-Jason

Yeah that's around what your hard drives should be, they wont fully use the interface.

Also why the 3 gig of ram, it's probolly running in half speed, and windows doesnt li ke over 2 gig (right)

I think your amount of ram is hurting your system

The 150 refers to the maximum possible throughput out of the "interface".. But that doesn't mean the HDD will deliver information at that speed through it.

So it depends on the interface "and" the HDD itself. As good as the Raptor is, it doesn't quite deliver info at the speed of the interface.

Well I'm below these benchmark results:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=raptor74&page=4&cookie_test=1

And pretty much any other results that i've found on the internet. That's what leads me to believe my drives are running slow.

Do you really think 3gb of RAM is hurting my system??? I went with that much because I'm a web developer and I'm consistantly hovering around 2gb. Memory gets used up when you have VS.NET, Photoshop, Flash, SQL Server and 20 IE windows open.

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom