Blue screen right after post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I just installed a new heatsink on my computer, ive done it many times before so i know what im doing. I did everything right, but when I boot up my computer, right after post and AS SOON as windows xp loading screen comes up i get a blue screen and it restarts. right now im running mircroscope on it for hardware problems. i cant get into the gui so i cant turn off the auto restart feature to read what the screen says, anyone have any ideas?

could be something not plugged in all the way, thats only thing i can think of right now. im checking them after the test

Well seeing how you just screwed around with the heatsink, check to make sure that it is not overheating.

Also check all of the cables, the ram modules, and your video card. Make sure that they are nice and snug.

Did you touch the motherboard itself when you were installing a heatsink????? MAybe you ESD'd on it. I know that is a farfetched idea to what happened but every possibility has to be looked at.

Yea that was the first hitng i did, i went into bios to check cpu temp and even touched it to see if it felt hot. I also made sure everything was in nice and tight. My hand was off and on the chassis the whole time so I know I didn't shock anything. But thats true, it is a possibility. BUT ANYWHO I found the problem. The ide cable slots on the mobo are labeled kind of weird, the first one, which is suppose to be ide1 or primary ide isnt, its lababled sata1 in the most hidden spot. The other 2 like right above it was labeled ide3 and above that was ide2. weird. The primary one wasnt labeled so i assumed it was the primary, and thats where i made my mistake. it was sata1 not ide1 :-( anyway, thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom