Hard Drive capacity recognition error

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
I'm puzzled. Bouhgt a new Intel D865PERL for my Presscott 3.0Ghz 478. One of the OEM software freebees is Recoverit. After reintalling windows and getting eveything just peachy I install the program listed above. With reboot it sets a restore point..okay...and then Big Blue Memory Dump! I now need to reinstall windows! However, my 200 gig Western Digital is now only a 137 gig? I put it in another puter as a slave and it sees it as 200gig. So...I CD boot from 98SE boot disk, fdisk the drive and FAT format it after removing all the partition information. Okay.....reinstall XP Pro....still only a 137gig. WTF!!!!! Help! Very Stange!

Ok....looks like it has two partitions.....? One 128 and the other 58+ How do I remove the 58gig second partition?

partition the full drive and see what is on it. if you delete a partition, it doesn't delete the barrier, it deletes the storage capacity as well.

you need the big drive enabler.

here. Unzip this and run it. you obviosly don't have SP1 installed so it isn't recognizing anything past 137gig (the limit pre-SP1)

http://www.techist.com/showthre...ba&pagenumber=1

I can't upload it anymore and I can't find the link where I uploaded it here before. they only let you upload something once on this site

I never payed attention to the sp1. Maybe since people are still using it, i should?

Eric do you have any links about it?

It has to do with addressing space. Set it up as raid which has its own addressing space and bios and it will read higher. Try SATA also. Also, you will never see the whole drive. You have to take a certain % off and I cant remember what it is.

BigHDDEnabler

I fixed it. Stuck the drive in another compuer as a slave with sp2 running and ran Western Digital Lifegaurd util. Changed the partion to the 200gb and placed it back into the original puter as the master and re-installed windows. Large gluteal agony!! Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom