My 6800 GT and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Ok folks heres the thing, i have had a 6800 GT for about 3 or 4 months now and am not alltogether happy with its performance in some games. Let me begin by adding my spec:

* Asus 6800 GT (350mhz Core + 700mhz Memory - not clocked)
* AMD XP 2800 @ 2080ghz
* 1024mb PC 2700 Ram
* 350w Power Supply Unit
* 80gb Maxtor HD

I'm soon upgrading both my CPU and Mobo to AMD 64+ (socket 939) but until then i want to see if my Gfx card is giving me all that it can. I have been talking with people over games (Lineage 2, Everquest 2 and CSS) that say a 350W psu is not really enough to allow my graphics card to run to its max functionality. I was wondering if upgrading my PSU would be wise.

/advise me

As it stands i can run Counter Strike Source (Source engine) on Medium - High graphical settings with 50 - 70 fps until reall fights start to kick off, then it will drop to 30 - 50. Americas Army is alot less stable and runs on Medium settings at about 30 - 40 fps. My current drivers are the latest ones supported by nVidia so its not that (I have also tried numerous others to see what performance they yield)

So, what do you techies suggest?

Who makes your psu? If it is a company like Antec it should be fine, as I run a 6800, AMD 64 3000 and 1.5 gb of ram (4 sticks) with a Antec 330watt truepower psu and run half life 2 with everything on high settings relfect world for water effects, 4x AA 8 x AF with no slow downs in frame rate, all above 60 fps.

this is standard Asus memory speeds, will get the official link tommorow, to tired tonight. I will also check the make of PSU

this is standard Asus memory speeds, will get the official link tommorow, to tired tonight.
A 6800GT is 350/1000 but on a little investigation I found that asus is labeling the 128mb a "128mb 6800GT" which isn't true and is pretty lame on their part. The 6800 is WAY different from the 6800GT....as you've noticed the memory clock is different but beyond that it's also that the GT has GDDR3 memory whereas yours has older memory.....so why ASUS has labeled it a "128mb 6800GT" is beyond me and frankly is pretty misleading and down right lying to customer...but I see what card you have now

MrBebop26 said:
I'm Diabetic... Type 1 :)

-Ryan

same :p

So, my 6800 GT is actually a 6800? If this is indeed the case then I think Asus will be getting a 'pleasent' email. As this is fraud, I payed quite a lot of money for this card and am not happy with what Asus has pulled here!

However, I still don't think my card is performing as it should. Ahh well, like i said, will get the PSU brand name later on when I get in.

The Asus V999(plus or minus some 9's) Gamer's Edition card is a standard 6800 that is clocked like a 6800 GT (some are, some arent), but doesnt have the extra 4 pipes. Your not the only person who has been snookered. PCGamer really bashed it around a couple of months ago

If you want the extra 4 pipelines you could softmod it using rivatuner. You won't get the extra memory speed or memory though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom