IDE - A Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
Heres a easy quick question:

If i have one 120gb ATA 133 drive on a IDE channel, then add another 80gb ATA 133 drive, will it slow any of the drives down, or cause any problems if i copied from drive to drive.

What would be the Pro's and Con's for this setup.

Thanks
Wayne

The drives themselves wont be slower, but the reading and writing to them will get a little slower.Copyng from drive to drive istn a problem at all, I do it all the time.

IDE involves CPU overhead and it cant read/write to drives on the same cable simultaneously so there is a bit of a slow down, but IDE also means CPU overhead to begin with, and that slows things down too.In other words, if you load up your system with CPU intensive apps, reading and writing to the drives with IDE slows down too_Other than that, IDE is just fine, you can even do raid over IDE.

Compare to scsi and sata where the drive controller does the work leaving the CPU without the burden of controlling the flow of data to the drives, which makes them faster overall.

Yeah your only issue is that you cant read \ write from both drives at the same time, causes it to use system resources more

unless you have the second harddrive on the Secondary EDIE cable, that wont slow down the First drive at all if the First dirve is on the Primary EIDE cable.

But if you only use the 80gb for exampel - storing files, and you have them on the same EIDE cable, and you just copy from drive to drive accationaly. that i would assume will also not affect the first HDD when you not using the second one.

hmmm, i could set up a raid, but then i would loose the extra 40gb on the 120gb, and my computer doesnt suppport RAID without a Card. Do you think its worth it setting up a raid with 2 80gb Drives?

ok, also, whats the difference between Ultra DMA Mode 6 and Ultra DMA mode 5, im guessing ones ATA 133 and ones ATA 100?

try to use ide cables that are ata 133 compliant..... or use rounded cables... you see this is not just for design but they also transfer data faster and are much more stronger than the ordinary ide cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom