About to Overclock......need advice and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here my O.C % so far:

CPU Clock 2572.14 MHz (original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 7%)

(I ran Prime95 for 12 hours with no problems)

What is a good O.C percentage????? maybe 20%??????

Slow but sure wins the race............
Here's my current O.C

CPU Clock 2663.10 MHz(original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 11%)

CPU FSB 147.95 MHz (original: 133 MHz, overclock: 11%)

(I used Prime95 for 15 hours with no errors)

Question about Prime 95 - which tourture test should i be using? Currently i'm using the second down the list.

Any comments, questions or advice is appreciated.....

After another 12 hours of testing with Prime 95 and with no problems or errors. Here's my O.C so far............

CPU Clock 2717.67 MHz(original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 13%)

CPU FSB 150.98 MHz (original: 133 MHz, overclock: 14%)

One or Two more 5-3MHz increase of FSB and then i'm done, would love to reach 2.8 Ghz from my previous 2.4GHz.

shouldnt be too hard make sure you up the votages though and beef up the case cooling and you should be able to run that clock for quite a while

She's gonna blow captain!! :ducks for cover: :p 2.8GHz should be completely reasonable to get provided good cooling and enough voltage. And we know your RAM wont limit ya since it's technically underclocked currently

I'm guessing good cooling would be my Zalman 7000B-alcu???? Yes? No? I can play Battlefield Vietnam for over a 3 hour period and rivatuner shows a max of 48-49 c for my cpu temps, is that ok? I also changed my AGP/PCI(in bios) from auto to 66:33, thats locking it right? Thanks in advance guys

P.S - Whats the most i should be able to O.C my 2.4 GHz?? 20% Maybe? or would 30% be a really good overclock? What % is considered to be a good overclock?

BTW - i haven't increased my voltage at all. From what i have read about O.C is that you don't increase voltage unless your having problems booting the computer because you increased the FSB too high. Right? or should i just increase the voltage a small amount anyways?

your voltage is probly 1.5v stock raise it up to about 1.6v and that should be fine
you should be able to hit 3ghz

BTW - i haven't increased my voltage at all. From what i have read about O.C is that you don't increase voltage unless your having problems booting the computer because you increased the FSB too high. Right? or should i just increase the voltage a small amount anyways?
No thats a really bad way to go about it, you don't want it to get to the point of not booting before you do it.

This is the way I do it....bump up your clock speed, get into windows and Run prime95 for 5 mins...if it passes, then bump up the FSB 2-5MHz more....repeat the process until Prime95 fails immediately or within 5 mins....if your computer freezes then basically one more MHz bump would cause it to probably not boot or possibly even post....so once you see prime95 fail within 5 minutes or freeze as soon as you hit the test button you need to bump up voltage....so go in, bump up the voltage by .025 leave the FSB the same, go back test prime95...keep repeating the process of bumping up the voltage at your current speed until Prime95 can again pass longer than 5 minutes, then continue bumping up FSB until you came to the point again where it fails within five minutes, fails immediately, or freezes the comp.

I also changed my AGP/PCI(in bios) from auto to 66:33, thats locking it right? Thanks in advance guys
Yes it is

I'm guessing good cooling would be my Zalman 7000B-alcu???? Yes? No? I can play Battlefield Vietnam for over a 3 hour period and rivatuner shows a max of 48-49 c for my cpu temps, is that ok?
Yeah the zalman is more than adequate, but what do you mean checking CPU temps in Rivatuner? Rivatuner is purely GPU related, shows nothing for CPU temps.

Ok, so i should raise the voltage a little anyways from 1.50 to 1.60. My fault on the rivatuner CPU thing got a little confused...but 48-49c temps are ok right? Every time i raised the FSB i actually tested it on Prime 95 for 12 hours so thanks for the 5 min tip..lol.Thanks for the advice.......again:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom