AMD Roadmap Update – AMD Sempron transition to Socket 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Just some more news about what is happening with AMD in the next 4 week :-

Roadmap Update – AMD Sempron transition to Socket 754
In line with AMDs roadmap the time has come to shift AMD Sempron™ processors to the Socket 754 infrastructure. There are many benefits associated with this transition including the added features of Cool'n'Quiet and Enhanced Virus Protection. With this shift to socket 754, there are some updates to be aware of regarding the Socket A Sempron ™ :

End of life for the Socket A AMD Sempron ™ 3000+, 2800+, 2600+ and 2200+ will be June 15 th 2005
Socket A AMD Sempron ™ pricing on the 3000+, 2800+ and 2600+ will stay constant while the same models in Socket 754 have experienced a price drop and are now $8-$10 less at the same model number.

In a nut shell, Socket A is going to dead by the end of this quarter.

SHAWN said:
I thought socket A was dead already :p

Not hardly, they will be around for quite some time even when AMD quits making them, there's an awful lot still in the supply lines and inventories.Its a perfectly good system to use.They may not be the latest and greatest or the best choice for gamers, but the speed of PC's past the needs of the typical user long ago.For what about 90% of the folks out there do, a 1-1.8ghz socket A system is more than enough.

horndude said:
Not hardly, they will be around for quite some time even when AMD quits making them, there's an awful lot still in the supply lines and inventories.
A long of the manufacturers for motherboards now days are talking on the newer technology a lot quicker now. Like all ready this month, I am havng problems getting some entry level all in one pentium 4 boards as LGA775 seems to be the way to go now.

horndude said:
Its a perfectly good system to use.They may not be the latest and greatest or the best choice for gamers, but the speed of PC's past the needs of the typical user long ago.For what about 90% of the folks out there do, a 1-1.8ghz socket A system is more than enough.
Oh yeah. Like i got my old Duron 1300 sitting at which I am thinking about putting into a Shuttle Case some time soon for a media center.

But over all, what good are the CPUs when you do not have a motherboard for them.

Considering there's more than 60 socket A mobos on the market right now I dont think they will up and disappear anytime soon.Heck, you can still get slot A mobo's and cpu's if you search a little, and theyve been extinct for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom