Elaborate OC'ed rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaara and Nubius are right. It's like qualifing in the olympic trials for a sport that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not taking this journey alone, I'm doing it with a buddy of mine who is quite knowledgable. He saying he wants to break records would NOT be an insult to them over at XS, so it is not just my novice OC knowledge that is going into this machine.

I agree with the people above me, but I'm not shooting you down, I suggest getting an Athlon XP-M to learn on, they are really forgiving processors, overclock like beasts, oh and they don't suck alot of juice even when volted up. Try to get an XP-M up to 2.6 or so then shoot for phase change stuff. I got an XP-M there with just a waterblock and ice, start small, learn on cheap stuff. =) and don't be afraid if stuff starts to sizzle, its just warming up :D

I'm not saying you wanting to break records is an insult, the fact that you plan on jumping in right away and having to ask people in a forum what an 'elaborate OCing' rig is to achieve those records and then expecting to break them right away is the insult. If your friend is so knowledgable then he should already know this crap, phase change and whatnot...mind you those world record holders BUILD their own phase change, and not just a single stage unit like a vapochill, they build double and triple cascade phase changes which is the 2nd coldest you're gonna get next to liquid nitrogen....

Gomeler - my 2400+ XP-M would hit 2.7GHz on air, 2.8 bootable but not at all stable like 2.7

Just because my buddy knows stuff, dosent mean that I dont have to go learn things on my own. He lives some distance from me, and we have to make plans to get together on a weekly basis. I want to learn everything I possibly can, and I have learned alot recently. I asked people for elaborate OC'ed rigs just so I can se what other people are doing, what kind of cooling systems they have and whatnot. I fully intend on building my own cooling system, and I already have several ideas combining all types of different cooling. I dont plan on buying ANY prebuilt system. It is cheating... And damn expensive.

In my experience with things, the only best way for me to learn something is to jump in head first. If I crack my head open, I get out, patch it up, and try again. You only learn from mistakes.

Maybe I will break records, maybe I wont. Prolly wont, but it dosent hurt to set your standards super high. It's better than setting them low so I dont get dissapointed when I dont get there. I'm a vewry optimistic person, and I work very hard at whatever endeavors I pursue. Why cant you guys just humor me, and say "Hey, go for it" while being confident in your mind that I wont make it. Why you guys gotta be haters?

Him said:
In my experience with things, the only best way for me to learn something is to jump in head first. If I crack my head open, I get out, patch it up, and try again. You only learn from mistakes.

You said you got sponsor ship from a local company? I highly doubt they are going to keep giving you stuff to fry if you have to "Keep learning from your mistake's" as you say,I know i wouldn't keep on giving you stuff.

You need to go to xtremesystems.org most people here barely know of OC'ing and the next step after air which is water cooling.

Again as I said in the TF post.....me and others think realistically....you take shit one step at a time, not just assume you can take down the pros.

If you decide you want to play baseball you don't go straight to the majors simply because you 'think optimistically'

Theres optimistic, and then foolish dreaming.

Him, im not trying to make you sound like an idiot. But if you dont have the slightest clue, of what extreme various cooling systems are available. I dont see why someone would pay you to OC for them. Thats a huge liability. The least common negitive result you can experience is frying hardware. But the most common is windows failure. This only takes a few seconds. I have done this many of times, over and over. Sadly, thats how i got the experience i needed. I had to completely reinstall windows over and over. But since i built the system myself, i dont have a all in-one reboot disk. I had to reinstall every computer component independently. Then configure each component to my system. This takes time man. If your not a computer wiz, then it might take someone hours.

Overclocking failures leads to windows corruption. This comes from a high demand OC, to much or to little voltage, for ANY COMPONENT. CPU, DDR,AGP,SB,NB ect.

No you cant stop learning, but you should know the various cooling methods, because that is elementary. No one is CRUSHING YOUR DREAMs lol. But when someone ask such a elementary question, while they have a pretty complex task to perform.

Again, i wouldent talk about IMPORTANT TF members like that. Because you wont get any positive attention..

Codeine, no offense or nothing, but plaese back off. I dont want to start in on you and turn into the next Dale. I'm sure that, if I havent been already, I am being compared to him. Especially by Nubius. Dont take offense, I know what you mean. I'm not asking you to back off for your sake, so I dont blast you or nothing. I'm asking you to for mine. You too Nubius, please. Just back off, I really dont need nor want your crap. And I'm sure you dont want mine or you having to give me crap. This is a forum, designed to help one another. Not to sit there and bash each other.

Not looking for a flame deal here. Just looking for a mutual settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom