my dvd's end up skipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
I have a 16X DVD burner, and I am using the only 16X +R DVD's that are at best buy, called verbatim, and at least half of the DVD's I burn end up skipping parts and playing pretty choppy.

Any advice?

I've heard that there are problems using 16X speed can cause this.

So do I need to buy 8 X dvd's or can I tell my DVD burner to just start burning at 8X?

thx

You should try to bump down your speed to 8X and see if that works. Also, try using DVD-R since it is the preferred format. I have a 4X burner and I use -R's and they work flawlessly. What are you using to burn the DVD's? If you use Nero, you can bump down the speed. You could even burn at 1X, although that would take you 4 hours or more to burn a complete dvd.

Okay, I bought some 8 X + R DVD's by Phillips and they still skip.

I use DVD shrink.

I guess next time I'll buy 8 X - R DVD's.

Think that will help?

Yeah, I do think that will help. Did you try bumping down the speed? You really might want to try that.

Try burning at the minimum speed possible. If 2 different kinds of DVD dont burn properly at minimum speed, than you might have a dead/dying DVD burner.

Also, did you try cleaning it? DVD burners are very precise instruments, and even the smallest spec of dirt can send everything out of whack. in my experience, anyway. Get one of those CD cleaners with the CD that has the little brushes on it, they work good. I have on from Staples and one from Rat Shack, and I have to say that the Staples one works much better. It was only some $8, and has an indefinite use. At least until the brushes wear down.

Thanks for the advice guys, I bought some -R DVD's and have been burning them at 4 X, pretty slow just to be on the safe side. Every DVD has since turned out perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom