Yahoo is spying on us

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
Surprise! Yahoo! is following you.

HereÂ’s the deal: When you create an account with Yahoo!, youÂ’re asked to click on a button signifying that you agree to its terms for use of the service. Somewhere within their agreement, it says that unless you specifically tell Yahoo! not to, itÂ’ll track and record all your Internet activity, not just that associated with the service.

It does this by placing a small application on your hard drive that logs all the links you visit and then sends the data to Yahoo! What happens to that data is much less clear.

All subscription-based services have terms that you must agree to when you sign up. These agreements are generally composed of legal terms and other gobbledygook and usually are benign enough. But how many of us actually read these? We generally, and perhaps naively, rely on the service to fairly disclose what weÂ’re getting ourselves into before we agree to the terms.

In the case of Yahoo!, IÂ’m sure that within the text of the terms, it states that itÂ’ll be engaged in this data collection. And thereÂ’s a procedure to opt out of this. ItÂ’s not hard to do, just not clearly explained anywhere by Yahoo!

If, like me, you donÂ’t like the idea that some faceless company like Yahoo! is collecting information about your private online activities.

Yahoo! is as well-known and mainstream an Internet presence as any I can imagine. How many other online services do you suppose have a similar clause within their terms of use that allows them to collect your personal information? After all, it’s generally written in legalese, and again, how many of us actually take the time to read the entire text of the agreement before clicking the ‘‘accept" button?

Start reading those agreements.

How to turn it off
Monday, May 16, 2005

Put this URL into your browser’s address window: privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/. This will take you to a Web page where Yahoo! spells out its policies. Scroll down to the section about cookies; you’ll see a reference to ‘‘Web beacons."

Click that link. It will take you to the page that explains how these things work. Scroll down a few paragraphs, and you’ll see the words ‘‘opt out" highlighted as a link

Click it to execute an opt-out command.

Note :
You have to set the optout function on every computer from which you access Yahoo! Source: Newport News Daily Press

The idea of be tracked is just too much for me too! How can I cancel my yahoo mail? This revelation isn't really precipitating this, it's just that i have comcast now and I use their mail client, so there's no reason to stick with yahoo and their spyware anymore. ps would it be possible to have my mail forwarded?...somehow, I doubt it

Those sneaky people at Yahoo. Makes me proud that they are actually one service that I don't use. Does this apply to the messenger? I still have that on my computer from a long time ago.

SkyHi said:
Where's your source for this information?
I'm just wondering.

-SkyHi

the Columbus Dispatch. All you have to do is click the link above, and click web beacon and click opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom