Athlon Venice Vs. P4

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Ok, so this summer, I am buying a new CPU, question: How will an AMD Athlon 64 3500 Venice stand up against my current P4 3.4 CPU? The Athlon only runs at 2.2Ghz, the P4 at 3.4Ghz. Overall, will I see a performance gain?

Probably some, but that seems like a bad upgrade. Your P4 has a lot of life still in it.

If your a gamer you will notice a slight peformance game. But if you OC the venice (which you should be able to OC 800mhzish) you will notice a big gain.

Yeah, I probably will OC. Is it worth getting a Venice 3500 or some other core 3800? Also, the L2 cache is only 512kb, is this gonna be a problem?

Theres nothing really more in the performance of the stock venice.. But its overclockability is amazing. I doubt there would be a difference in buying say a newcastle 3200 than a venice 3200 except if u were overclocking.

Newcastles handle higher temps but dont OC as well

Venice is great if your overclocking, Newcastle sucks for OC

Venices run at very low voltages and output little heat, so they overclock very well

unless you plan to overclock, you won't see a noticable difference to your Pentium 4

DJ-CHRIS: Newcastles don't really "suck" at overclocking, compared to CPU's other than the Venice, they are reasonably good

is there a way that I can check to see if I have a venice core?
I have a new AMD Athlon 64 3500 plus (came with my system) but I don't know what the core is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom