San Diego vs. Venice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truebe

In Runtime
Ok,

So i have been reading through these forums and it seems like the majority of people prefer the Venice Core over the San Diego core.

A lot of people say just get the 3200+ and OC it to 4000+ and stuff like that, but wouldn't the San Diego be better, you could just overclock it past 4000+ speeds, right?

Obviously, there is a huge difference in price with the venice at $200 and the san diego at $500. Is that why most of you say the venice is better, because of the price? Lets just say that money was no object, which one is better? San Diego would be better than, right?

Another thing I have been reading is Venice stay cooler and they use less voltage.

So without flaming at each other and all that, in your opinion, why is the venice 3200+ or san diego 4000+ better.

truebe

for the price the venice is better, because the difference of the san diego havin 512k extra cache is very small. i know the 3200 venice can easy reach 2.8gig usually. but i dont know many ppl with the 4000 so i couldnt tell ya how well they overclock :(

if price wasnt a option i would wait for the 90nm fx55 :p

both the 3000 and 3200 venices have been able to hit 2.7GHz+ in most cases...as aj said the only thing that really differentiates them is the fact that the price for the san diego is pretty high just for 1mb of L2 cache vs 512kb....technically they OC about the same because they are the same cores, just different L2 cache

If you have the money, I would go with the lowest rated San Diego (is it a 3700+?, maybe even 3500+). That would give you the most OC overhead and you get the 1mb cache.

No, as I said, they will still OC the same regardless of the higher status IE being a 3500+

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59406

They still max out around 2.7GHz to 3GHz if you have REAL good cooling.

Of course there is a chance of getting a bad OC'ing 3000 or 3200 that'll limit you from going say past 2.5GHz or so, can be luck of the draw too

I was saying the most OC head room for a SD, not the most across the board.

So,

Even though the Venice 3200+ is 2.0Ghz and the San Diego 4000+ is 2.4 Ghz they will both max there OC the same. So the Ghz isnt really the issue? correct?

Its just the 1Mb L2 Cache that your paying for?

Cooling, Voltage?

Truebe, let me help you out. You have a Processor, then the Core. Many processors have the same core. You cannot compare 2 different processors to each other. Such as a 4000 and a 3200. For AMD processors Mhz mean alot. 1mb Cache for an AMD is high class. As of right now, any kind of AMD64-FX at 2.4ghz 1MB cache+, is top of the line.

Dont be fooled though, the Venice is only usefull to Overclockers. If your not going to do any OC, get a Newcastle. Newcastle's are 130nm, unlike the new 90nm, and runs at 1.5volts. So they run remotely hotter, once OC you will begain to notice elaborately. I would say if you had a 3200 Newcastle and a 3200 Venice, once you had a 500mhz increase the Newcastle would be around 12 degrees hotter.

So,

Even though the Venice 3200+ is 2.0Ghz and the San Diego 4000+ is 2.4 Ghz they will both max there OC the same. So the Ghz isnt really the issue? correct?

Its just the 1Mb L2 Cache that your paying for?

Cooling, Voltage?
Regardless of one being 2GHz and one being 2.4GHz they will both basically cap out at around 2.7-2.9GHz........ 3GHz and above is basically only if you have really good cooling.

There is a high demand for the 3000 and 3200 venices so what this means is they take a perfectly good core that could be rated a 3500+ but downclock it and call it a 3200+ to fill the demand, so basically you got a good chip that's just been downclocked for marketing reasons.

As of yet I don't think I've seen a venice NOT hit 2.4GHz, but there have been some people who's capped out around 2.5GHz just from luck of the draw which happens with any CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom