OUCH! Why CPU so HOT?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse5150

Baseband Member
HALLO!

Well i'm quite happy with the way things went with my upgrade yesterday! Everything went in absolutely brilliantly smoothly and all that.

I installed Win 98 SE and whilst installing i encountered my first problem. The PC just switched off when i was typing my details in for the installation. It wouldn't switch on again but but if i took the plug out, left it for 5 secs and plugged back in again and pressed the power button (on front of case) the system, cpu and Radeon fans twitched .. but nothing else. I figured that the 300W PSU i bought was in fact not enough so i rushed out and got a 400W one (i got in my computer shop 1.5 minutes before it closed! RESULT!!)

Bam!

Fixed!

Installed Win98 SE with no hitch, installed all drivers for absolutely everything i could think of with no hitch, including ASUS PCPROBE which monitors cpu and mobo temps amongst other things, which is when i noticed a horrific thing :eek:

My CPU temp whilst "idle" in Windows 98 SE was 70 - 75 deg Celsius!! :eek:

I installed Quake III (note just installed, NOT even played!) and it shot up to 81 degrees C!!

Surely this isn't right?? i thought CPU temps were supposed to be around 40/50/60 degrees? not 80!

The only thing i can think of is the thermal goo on my heatsink has been "de-optimized" due to me testing my CPU and heatsink in my mates PC then taking them apart again. I then (rather foolishly i later discovered) tried to move the displaced goo at the side of where the CPU was the first time back into where the CPU would make contact again (D'oh!)

Should i buy a new heatsink fan? If so i'll buy a better one i reckon.

To help, my specs are:

Athlon XP 2800 Tbred
400W PSU
Asus A7V8X-X
512 Kingston DDR 2700 CL2.5 RAM
Original ATI built RADEON 9800 PRO 128Mb (i named this "Sexual Chocolate" :p )
Coolermaster "Silent" fan (cost £5, nothing fancy)
1 case fan half way up back plate, i have another at my disposal too.
I've since installed Windows XP Pro too.

Help please :)

:beard:

the default fan should be fine, because the bartons seem to not heat up as much as the old amd chips, check to make sure u put the heatsink on right. and anyways, save yourself some money, take teh paste off the heatsink and cpu with paint thinner then throw on a big clunk of the white compound, it should be fixed, anyways thats better then wasting money on a new fan.

heh it was funny tho, a 2800 over heating that far.. lol a 2800 doesnt need a 400 watt power supply =p RETURN IT!!

so yea
new compound
and NO
paint thinner WILL NOT damage the cpu,

Well when i put the 400W PSU in it worked fine.

I was gonna get a 350W one but they didn't have them.

I mean my old PC from about 3 years ago had a 300W PSU in it! I got:

2 x CD drives
1 x HDD
1 x Mobo
2 x Fans
1 x Radeon
1 x FDD

Maybe my old PSU was faulty, either way, its working fine now :)

How do I find out what temp my computer is running in windows xp pro. I dont know where to find it I looked in the set when you first start the computer but couldnt find it.

flgirl - as soon as ur computer turns on hit delete as much times as possible
a blue screen pops up (bios) search for pc health or hardware montor. if u dont see any of those go through each option one by one to look then.

mouse - im runnin a intel 2.4 processor off a 300 watt
works fine

Cheers Mate!

Personally, Mouse,, If I were You,, I would set the threshhold temp in the BIOS as to when to knock the machine off due to heat,,

Then,,I would go and buy a Good CPU cooling fan kit,, ThermalTake, Volcano,,, a half descent one,, and do a clean and install of the new fan,,

Further ,, You didnt mention,, but is your new PSU a dual fan ??

Plus,, How many Case fans do you have running,, and do you have the air flow to be unidirectional through the case?

VERY important when it comes to cooling,,

I have the AMD super chip DLTC3 ,, OOB @ 1.47ghz OC'd to 2.2 ghz and my Idle temp is ....32 degrees celsius,,,

I have 5 case fans, and a dual on the PSU and a Thermaltake cooling on the CPU,,,

Never a glitch ,, never a falter,, smooth running,,

cheers,

spfd
as soon as ur computer turns on hit delete as much times as possible
a blue screen pops up (bios) search for pc health or hardware montor. if u dont see any of those go through each option one by one to look then.

I tried this and all I get is a keyboard error, so then I tried it again and got start up in safe mode

flgirl said:
spfd
as soon as ur computer turns on hit delete as much times as possible

yea if ur computers not custom built, i guess its different

in times like this or times when u forget the safemode button

just jam all the keys :)

I tried this and all I get is a keyboard error, so then I tried it again and got start up in safe mode

This might not be true for cpu fans but for some electrical engines (like the one powering your cpu fan) will run backwards if the power supply for it is plugged in the wrong way (correct pins, but the wrong way)..

flgirl- Another common key could be F2 and it is according to what bios you have i believe. if you posted the kinda computer or motherboard you have we may be able to look on their support site to find out the keystroke it is for your particluar bios. And if you tap a key to fast or to soon you will most likely get a keyboard error and have to restart. Try wait a sec. after turning on your computer and just tap the key once per sec. instead of tapping like crazy:) Or like microbell said maybe holding the key down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom