Static electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id use it too... sounds better than to just touch anotehr peice of metal.. but i dont really have a need of opening up computeres 24/7 right now...

Id use it too... sounds better than to just touch anotehr peice of metal.. but i dont really have a need of opening up computeres 24/7 right now... how long can PS's maintain their charge??

There is one situation when you, "DO NOT WANT TO WEAR AN ANTI-STATIC WRISTSTRAP". If for some unknown reason you have opened up the cover of a CRT monitor to repair some component.

Grounding yourself to that would be very bad. CRT monitors can hold up to 35,000 volts for a very long period of time... And a shock like that would knock you through the roof...

Mandingo said:
When putting a computer together, is it necessary to have a static wristband to protect against static electricity and harming any components? If not. what are some steps to be cautious on this measure?
What's a Static Wristband????? :p

I have not used one in years as I find they just get in the way. In my workshop, I have a metal locker that I touch before touching the pc.

[EDIT] I lie, It was last year I was using one, and that is because I had some anal customer who thinks need knows every thing insist that I use one before touching his computer. Appart from that, I rarely use one. And I have never had a problem with having to send back motherboard or parts.[/EDIT]

Also, make sure you have good footware. I no a freind of mine that sorted in computer out has he was repairing his computer while wearing socks on a carpetted floor.

HAVOC2k5 said:
There is one situation when you, "DO NOT WANT TO WEAR AN ANTI-STATIC WRISTSTRAP". If for some unknown reason you have opened up the cover of a CRT monitor to repair some component.

Grounding yourself to that would be very bad. CRT monitors can hold up to 35,000 volts for a very long period of time... And a shock like that would knock you through the roof...

That's why you dont fix CRT's

And yeah, expisally since CRT's are high amerpage (voltage doesnt really matter) your going flying, bye bye.

A tech in my dad's company vapourized a wrench on a 1.5volt backup battery. Note that these are HUGE battery's, city telephone backup in a room basicly.

DJ-CHRIS said:
That's why you dont fix CRT's

And yeah, expisally since CRT's are high amerpage (voltage doesnt really matter) your going flying, bye bye.

A tech in my dad's company vapourized a wrench on a 1.5volt backup battery. Note that these are HUGE battery's, city telephone backup in a room basicly.

WOW... Vaporized! Lucky Wrench!!!

Wow, your list is growing DJ-CHRIS... Glad i haven't graced it's company.. phew....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom