Fastest Socket 7 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What voltages would I have to change for a k6-2 500 mhz? I also have no idea if it's compatible, i can't even verify what mobo the Dell has. I know its chipset and model number, but the Dell site is useless for helping me determine the motherboard from there.
I'm not even sure it would be super socket 7 compatible, as it's a pretty odd board. Only accepts up to 64mb of sdram (chipset limitation) and only FOUR dimms are approved for use, nothing else works (i've tried!).

"Unreal T*tt*ys, 1997..."

Max on an AMD k6-2 is up to 3.3v, while the ellaborate AMD K6-3 is up to 3.5v :cool:

check the jumpers on the board, if its super socket 7 compatible it will have jumpers for voltages,multiplier and bus speeds, they are usually labled, a k6-2 amd will need a 100mhz fsb and a multiplier of 3-5.5, they are usually labeled on the board itself in really small print

if that doesnt help, check the support chipset itself, you can look that up and see what it supports, just beware, there's a whole bunch of motherboards out there that have been castrated by the BIOS installed---------example, the Intel ml series has a chipset that CAN handle super socket 7 but Intel had a BIOS installed that cuts it off at pentium 200mhz max

you can also goto drivers.com I believe and look up the FCC ID# for the board, DELL doesnt make anything, they contract everything out, chances are that board was made by some obscure foreign company, so it may or may not be easy to track down

Thanks, I'll look all that up. If it helps, Dell's site tells me that the board uses the 430vx chipset (Intel) and I believe it's model number is 82437vx.

socket 7 went to 233mhz, however socket super 7 (k6) went to 550mhz. I had one of those, outperformed the 800mhz coppermines at school.

Hmm. Still upgrading a socket 7 computer...mind boggling. Well at least your current processor has broken through the "whole number" mhz barrier :).

You should really check this out: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001106/amd-03.html

It will probably answer most of your questions, considering it is practically all about your situation. God bless google.

I'll check that page out, thanks. One other question:
Socket Super 7 mobos and K6-2s are dirt cheap on eBay. If I were to buy a mobo and processor, it would work with my current case, right? A socket 7 and Super Socket 7 system should both work with my Dell's power supply but I just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom