I probably voided the warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

dummymuncher

Beta member
I'm trying to fix a floppy drive on a piece of "computerized equipment", not a pc. (thus no OS or cpu/ram) The drive looks like a standard 1.44 floppy drive, so I tried to replace it with 7 different working drives. the machine software won't recognize any but the original.

so I tried fixing the drive by opening it. Dust! I cleaned it really well, unscrewed the read write heads and the little electric motor and everything.

good and bad idea I guess cuz the drive now works normally. It now reads, writes and formats floppies, but other pcs cannot read the disks. I can format a disk on the machine, read and write files, and format it again on an a computer, and read and write files. basically making any floppy usable on both the machine and the computer at the same time but niether one can read the other's saved files.

I'd just put a new drive in but this drive seems to be the only one the machine will take. I assume I've misaligned the heads in cleaning, how do I get them online again. I have to be able to read saved information on other computers and vise versa. what do I do?

PS> if it helps the drive says panasonic model JU-257 and has about five tiny switches on the circuit board. one with markings 0,1,2,3, one with PS2, AT, and a few others that I'm not sure about. I've never seen a floppy drive with switches, so I wonder if thats what makes this so special that its the only one the machine will take. thanks in advance for any help.

before the drive went bad, disks from it would work on any regular PC. And any PC disk would work on the drive. thanks for any information you can give me.

the current switch configuration is as follows. () around the current position
(AT) PS2
MO (MS)
(0) 3 2 1
(RY) DC
(NC) EX

there is a sticker next to the JU-257 that says T773P. I ripped it off and underneath it says A023P. I wonder if this is a modified or upgraded model.(?)

I managed to find J-257A023P available for purchase at this site for a whopping $135.

http://www.codemicro.com/store/prod_results.cfm/mode/5/srchparm/JU257A023P.cfm

I managed to find this (below) at

http://www.secarica.ro/html/plus3_hardware.html

Panasonic JU-257-203P
has DIPswitches
- switch for motor driving, two positions, labelled MO or MS
- switch for the ready signal, two positions, labelled RY or DC
- switch for drive select, four positions, labelled DS0, or DS1, or DS2, or DS3
For +3 use, the switches have to be set to MO and RY.

its somewhat helpful, but not detailed enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom