frickin OCed p4 wont stabilize

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroordie

In Runtime
ok, so here my problem.
I OCed my p4 3.2 to 3.7 without any problems, ran prime95 for 2h30 min and no problems. I try to run 3dmark05 and boom! the comp restarts. and i'm like wtf eh? :mad: my comp ran prime95 for 2h30 and it cant run 3dmark05 for 2 mins??? :confused: so i upped my voltage by about 0.03-0.04 and it still reboots during 3dmark05! if it was instable, why didnt prime95 find a problem? I checked my cpu usage and while running prime95 it was at 50% !!!!
i'm getting pissed here caused i'm not seeing improvement on my oc and ive read alot of your posts on ocing. ANY help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. THX :D

2 hours and 30 minutes of prime95 is NOT stable.

+12 hours of it is.....and if you're RAM is being OC'd and you're running the large In place FFT's then it's only testing the CPU and not the RAM....if you're running Small FFT's then that's probably why your CPU is running at 50% usage....large FFTs for just CPU and blend mode for CPU and RAM.

The only way I see that happening is if he simply didn't plug in the power connector, which he didn't mention sooo it's anyones guess as to whether he did or not....BUT if his RAM is being OC'd 3dmark05 will certainly test that and if he's running small FFT's that barely even tests the processor muchless the RAM.

Zeroordie, what kind of RAM do you have? When i OC, i test it myself. I run benchmarks that use certain components, then i start useing programs. Your OC is simply not stable. When i OC my 4000 to 2.8ghz, it ran benchmarks fine. When i started up a game, it was a different story. That was the only time ran 2.8ghz, never tried stablizing it. Dont even know if its possible.

If you have good OC RAM, and your voltage settings are just fine. You probably hit your cores architecture limit. Although a 500mhz increase is not all that much, its very possible. My guess is your RAM and voltage settings. Just make sure your AGP ratio is at 1:1.

I dont know what kind of ram i got, i'd have to go check on the receipt the salesman gave me, because i just asked for 512 Mb of ddr2 ram. I'll have to pull the stick out to see what brand it is...
I have just LOCKED my pci-e frequency as i have understood i needed to do...

by the way i have a 6600 as my sig says... and there is no power connector on the card for extra power, as there is on a 6800, so i dont see how i could increase my GPU voltage to make my oc more stable (389core/601mem instead of 300/500)

My memory frequency changes at well, when i increase my fsb, my mem frequency goes down... at 200mhz fsb my mem freq is at 533mhz, whereas at 231mhz fsb my mem freq is at 462mhz. is it normal that the mem freq goes down?

about my ram, in bios there is an option to add 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3 V to dimm to make oc more stable. since ram is tied to my cpu oc, should i add some voltage to it?

My cpu voltage is now 1.4250 V instead of 1.3875 V and temps have barely changed, but its not like i got my cpu under full load yet :/

thx for your help, cuz it's just frustrating me that this thing is not working, and i'm aiming at setting my cpu speed at over 4Ghz.

The reason it comes up only 50% is because of HT. It makes windows think that you have 2 Cpu's.

And if a program does support SMP it will max out at 50%

uzi9mm said:
The reason it comes up only 50% is because of HT. It makes windows think that you have 2 Cpu's.

And if a program does support SMP it will max out at 50%

Single threaded games dont max out at 50%... HL2 would be unplayable on my p4 system than

Games dont max out at 50%, games should max at at whatever they need, Do you know why?????????????????????????? Because games do not support SMP.

But if a program supports (SMP) "symetrical mutliprocessing" it will only load 50% usage on each CPU. But really it is outputting 100%, because there is not a second CPU, the HT is a ghetto logical CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom