XP Home to Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhhh, yeah... I can just whip out a can of whip-butt and back up 30+ gigs of data...

Riiiiiight...

I can :)
buy a lil 30 gig hard drive.. 45$ lol

jk, but i would suggest backing up info before you throw the upgrde at it...

OK. I finally got my disk straightened out. But I've got a problem.

Warez Monster wrote:
Install the disk, install xp, then it should ask you do you want to upgrade or a new installation (advanced), click upgrade and your files will still be there.

I went through the boot, went through the options to install up til it came up with the partition. When I told it to install, it detected that there was an OS already there, and wanted to know if I wanted to install anyway, or delete the partition.

At this point I got cold feet. I ahve way too much data on my hard drive to risk blowing it by hitting the wrong choice.

So, my question at this point: When does it give the option to upgrade? Remember, I have a full installation disk, not an upgrade disk.

It should ask you right away. But if you got that far, it wont upgrade, you will either re-write the partition and format and then install xp pro. When you are on your desktop, you install the cd, it should say Install Windows XP, etc, etc, then do you want to upgrade or new installation (advanced), you would pick upgrade but it didnt give you that option so I guess you cant go about it that way, looks like you will have to reinstall everything. Do you have 2 hdds? If so, transfer your documents, etc to that hdd and install pro and you will be good to go.

No, I don't. And I really don't want to reinstall everything I have on this computer, either. Bummer.

New Question: If I install a second hard drive, could I install the Win XP Pro on it and be able to dual boot, or do they have to be on the primary drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom