damn SATA HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeLeMuNdO!

In Runtime
Started on my new comp today, and everything is good except for the hard drives. I have 2 WD 74gig Raptors that I want to set up in a RAID 0 config. I already set up the RAID 0 configuration where it's reading as one drive in the ASUS utility (FastBuild), but when I try to install XP, I get a "no mass storage" found. It says my hard disks aren't installed....The Asus manual told me that after I set up the RAID, I would have to format the drive and something about FDISK (which I don't know how to access in XP). Anybody have any ideas?

mobo: Asus K8V SE Deluxe

You have top put the SATA/RAID controllers on a floppy and press F6 when installing Windows, when it tells you to.

I've tried pressing F6 when installing windows, but when I press it, nothig happens. But if I press F2 (system recovery?) it goes right to it. I think it might not let me do it because it doesn't recognize any hard drives for a RAID array to be made...

Try changing the configurations of the SATA (ie: auto, combined, enhanced, etc)

It will probably find them, you probably have the computer trying to read an IDE channel for boot instead...

About the configurations, I thought that "auto" was the only choice if I wanted a RAID 0 array, but this is my first time with a RAID setup. How do I get my comp to not boot off of the IDE channel?

I think that "HIM" is on the right track. If the MOBO didn't come with a SATA/RAID floppy, then the drivers windows needs to recognize the SATA drives is on the CD-ROM that came with the drivers for that MOBO. To find those drivers, I would visit ASUS.COM or Westerndigital.com and search for support on this issue. I know seagate has an excellent walkthrough for this issue on their site.

Once you have the proper drivers on the floppy, during installation of windows you will see "Press F6 to install 3rd party XXXXX" You must be very fast about this... I hold the F^ key for like 3-4 seconds. Then the installation will continue, then it will get to a point when it askes you to insert the floppy. You do, and press enter... Windows will install those SATA/RAID drives along with other files to begin OS install....

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom