AMD 64 3000 clock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi. My friend bought a new computer with AMD 3000 64 bit processor, 512 MB DDR 400Mhz.

I get into its BIOS setup screen, just to check what is going on there. So it reports that the CPU is currently set to the 200 MHz FSB, and memory as well, of course, and the total CPU core frequency is 1800 MHz.

There is an option to set the FSB clock to 400 Mhz. So I sure it will be usefull to do so, it will double the core clock, and I'm pretty sure it isn't an "overclock for such CPU to work in 3600 MHz frequency. But, if I If I change the FSB from 200 to 400 Mhz, "Spread Spectrum" option below this line became disabled.

Does anyone know what does the "Spread Spectrum" do, and is it worth to disable it and go to the 400 FSB and memory clock?

Comp specs:

-CPU: 3000 AMD K8 64BIT S939 512K
-Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-939 HyperTransport Technology \ AMD Atlon 64 FX \ PCI EXPRESS X16
2PCI EXPRESSx16 \ DUAL CHANNEL DDR \ USB 2.0 \ NVIDIA nForce4 4X \ 4xSerial ATA \ 3xPci
-Memory: MB DDR 400Mhz 512 2x256MB DDR 400MHZ
-Hard Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL \ HITACHI 80GB SERIAL ATA 8MB CACHE
-CD Drive: DVDRW TOSHIBA/SONY X16
-Video Card: PCI EXPRESS X16 GeForce PCX-6200 256MB TURBO CACHE DDR+ TV DVI OUT NVIDIA
-Sound Blaster: Realtek ALC850 Audio AC97 Codec Audio 8-channel
-2x IEEE 1394B FIREWIRE
-Ethernet 10/100Mb LAN CICADA8201 Gigabit LAN PHY chip
-Case: (USBx2 front) MIDI ATX P4 2-FAN 450W

Thanks
-AndreiD.

I think it's supposed to reduce interfearence (spelling?) with electronic devices such as pacemakers. Not totally sure though. And putting that to 400 is an overclock if it makes the clock speed 2.6ghz

Spread Spectrum has to do with the electronic noise comming from your computer. There are ways to tell what a computer is computing just by using devices to listen to the electronic noise it produces. Setting the spread spectrum to, I'm not sure what the settings are, will add needless noise to the electonics so it is harder to determine what is going on. It is really only used by bankers and admins with extremely confidential data. Or data that could be used to amass large sums of money.

KorKwin: INTERFERENCE (You had it right, except the A)

Okay that fronside bus, yes doubbling it results in a doubble overclock

However if your doing this your retarded, and not going to have a computer most likely anymore. Do not change the FSB unless you are OC'ing and know what your doing.

My other friend's copm, which has AMD 2800+ CPU and it runs on 2000 MHz originaly, so I don't think that it can be trouble for AMD 3000 (but 64bit) CPU to run on 3600 MHz.
Maby anyone used this CPU by himself or had personall expirience with 64bit AMD's, please respond.

Doubling the CPU clock speed is not good times. Its very, very bad times.

Unless you have serious cooling, don't even try that. And even if you do, doubling the RAM's speed will most likely kill it.

What your doing is called overclocking, read the sticky in the overclocking on overclcoking and you can give it a shot.

And newcastle 3000+ wont reach that high most likely, and neither will cheap ram. But if you got a whinchester or venice you should be able to go over 2.6, with a good mobo and ram.

Oh, and if you doubble the CPU speed by raising that number to 400, your only 400mhz away from the world record.

lol, doubling the FSB... wow. havnt heard that in a while.
1st of all the AMD 2800+ ur friend has is a xp2800+, which does have stock speed of 2ghz. Ur comparing a XP to a AMD 64 939/754.. completely different man.
the a64 are more efficiant than the xp series.
Clock speed on ur cpu is 1.8, not 2 or 2.6
putting fsb at 400 will fry ur pc, so dont even think about it. U can oc it a bit, but watch out for ur temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom