Help! HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
theres 2 ways...

1) insert your Windows Disk and boot to CD, repartition the drive during format and reinstallation.

2) use a partition manager to delete your second partition... expand your first partition... then creat and reformat you second volume partition.

im not shur if all that can be done with just Windows disk manager(might beable to i never tryed). i do know Partition Magic can do it.
------------------------------------------

you may wont to go with option 1) since its easyer for starters. and all your prgrams on your second partitoin would need to be uninstalled anyways.

where can i get a partition magic program? Also (unrelated) are there any free programs to check ur cpu temps while in windows so i dont have to go to BIOS every time?

I think its called "Powerquest Partition Magic". But like i said, you dont need it, you can just refromat and do it with your windows boot disk. I dont think partition magic is freeware. though there maybe a trial version i wouldnt know, someone else showed me it.

if a temp montior program isnt on your Motherboard driver disk, id check the manufactures website. and if there isnt one there.

Try "Motherboard Monitor5" its free.

if MBM5 doesnt support your board... try "Speedfan" its also free, not as configurable as MBM5 though. Remember anyprogram you use for temps, if its not from the manufacture... it guess witch is most likely your CPU temp and is prolly right most of the time. but thy can be rong, and you may need to setup the Temp senor setting manually like i did.

jolancer said:
nothing that senseless mentioned up there could cause your problem.

System restore does not activate every time you load an application... though it would improve overall win perfromance disableing it.

you dont need 2048 mb's of paging files. thats just not neccessary. 2048 mb's of Virtual memory is pritty standard, and overkill for most.

virtual mem = Physical Ram + Pagingfiles
so 1gb of ram + 1gb(1024) paginefile(aka swapfiles) = 2048 virtualmem.

overlocking would not solve the problem(assuming that one actuall existes) because your system is overkill for those applications.

The only reason i specified using the 2048mb page file was so because....

If he were to run out of ram and stuff dumps over onto the page file (ive got 1gb of ram, and have a large page file usage from the get go) the page file would be static and wouldnt have to seek for more space (conserves performance)

I cant play any video games with system restore active.. it grinds my machine to a halt.

Overclocking won't solve the problem, i was just making the statement that he should.

The reason i mentioned what i had mentioned was because i like to start from the basics.. (Windows settings, bios settings, etc) Before i go telling people to reformat their hard drives..

Have you tried turning system restore off inside of windows?

The way you partitioned your drives is kind of weird, but should still work.. The 5gb stripe you made is on the inner most sectors of the hard drive, the 40gb partition shouldn't perform any slower (well, maybe like 1mb/s slower.. but nothing noticable) and wouldn't explain why you're having these problems..

If you havent already, go to www.nvidia.com and grab the latest version of the unified driver package and the video card driver package..

the pagingfiles dont change in size and are always static if you manually set the min/max.

and your right about starting with the basics.. its just he kept asking more and more questions, so i just kept adding... so now he's gota hole thread of posts with he should just start at the begining with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom