CPU usage 100% and Major Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy0527

Solid State Member
Infact lag is so bad I click my start button and it lags for 4 seconds before it pops up :-( . I lag with EVERYTHING!

Comp specs:
Pent 4 2.4ghz
512ddr
two 40gb hard drives
Windows XP home
G4 ti4200 (I might need drivers I never have Downloaded any nor do I know how/where if this could be the problem)

So basically the past 2 months my comp has sucked. I reformated and this still happens. I play games and every other minute i get a 5 second spike of 4-5 fps and I just freeze.
This also happens with everything not just games. My comp just freezes then after 5 seconds resumes itself. very Weird! I have used Mcafee virus scan with the newest updates and Spy bot (Not sure if its new)

PICTURE OF MY CPU USAGE CHART *Edit* thats the right link but its not working for some reason :(

http://fwa.recongamer.com/compsucks.JPG

You say that you have never downloaded any drivers for your Video card. Was this installed after the pc was purchased or come pre installed ?

do a ctrl alt del and go to task manager and see what process is eating up all the bandwidth. Let me know which process it is. Could be a program in your start menu that is eating away your resources.

Almost 100 % certain you have a virus.

Mcaffee's wont catch everything, thats been said already. :)

What you need to do is first run all of the critial updates for your OS. Then you need to run an up to date virus scanner.

On www.pccillin.com there's a nice viri scan called housecall. this will tell you what you have.

Once you've removed the pesky virus make sure you keep up with the updates to XP.

tech4hire said:
do a ctrl alt del and go to task manager and see what process is eating up all the bandwidth. Let me know which process it is. Could be a program in your start menu that is eating away your resources.

Half the time it says it is Task Manager itself and the other half it says its whatever program I am running at the moment.

Also I cant run the Online Virus Scan. This is due to the fact that my IE displays a Dial-up connection window when I try to connec to the internet through IE. So I use OPERA which allows me to use the internet but allows No Pop up ads even when I turn off the pop up filter built in to it. And on the Virus Scan site this means the Window for the virus scan to start cannot Open.

what kind of ISP are you using currecntly? dial up, DSL, Cable?

you should be able to change your connection type for IE. you need to use the "new connection wizard" that comes with windows. Once Ie knows how you are connecting you should be able to run the scanner. You might also check your browser options, make sure you don't have your security settings too high?

Of course there is always the "format c:" option where you start from scratch and load all the updates and AV software before loading any other progs.

you have a corrupt installation of windows (best guess). If your IE does not work properly, something internal is wrong. I would reinstall the OS and see if the problems continue. I would try to reinstall the OS before i wiped it and started over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom