Need some RAM suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm.....

User error? Well, f!ck you! ;)

But seriously, how could user error contribute to my machine crashing if I am just doing those two things? I'm just going to chock it up to my crappy mobo. Nothing really works like it should because of that friggen thing. I will never forgive the dude who sold me that junk.

Heed my words, people:

DO NOT EVER, REPEAT, EVER GET A JETWAY OR ECS MOTHERBOARD!!!

Just one look at the Jetway site should deter you (http://www.j-mark.com)

EDIT: Horn, by crash I dont mean a complete crash with data loss. I'm just talking everything locking up and blowing up, either causing me to restart Explorer or the entire computer.

its probably bad software, there's an awful lot of bad and buggy code out there, all OS's are essentially "works in progress" to begin with

I sat down recently and went to videohelp.com and downloaded a whole bunch of free windows apps to try out to see if they were any better or different than what I use in linux.Well, about 3 or 4 worked pretty well, the other 12-15 apps were junk, they either crashed or didnt work well from the word go.Thats been my experience with almost everything in the PC world software wise, there's a handful of really good apps, and then there's the junk you have to sift thru to find something stable and usable.

If youve ever written any code dealing with video apps I think you'll find they dont use much RAM, they do tend to load the CPU down quite a bit though.Not hard to check for memory leaks, and other bad coding errors either, and way too many companies release software that should still be considered in the alpha stage..

If you want to know what apps hog up lots of RAM, photoediting IF set up that way,any java app with lots of threads, like Limewire for example, games of course, and some of the GUI's out there.Most avg apps really dont use much.

Limewire bogs down my system mad ruff, it's ridiculous.

I use DVDShrink to backup my DVD's, do you by chance know of a better software that does the same thing? I've been having problems with it alot lately, not backing up the dvd's because of CRC errors. But then sometimes, if I wait a little bit, the same DVD does work. It really works when it wants to, with whatever DVD it wants to.

CRC errors are due to the DVD having reading problems, could be a dirty or bad DVD, or just not a good DVD drive to begin with, Ive got 2 of those LOL, and some ripping programs crash with read errors or get locked in a permanent loop, some dont, just depends on how they were written.If the dvd disc itself is even slightly dirty I clean it first, library DVD's are usually smudged and scratched up bad.

Ive heard dvdshrink is ok, I tried it, it seemd ok, I didnt spend enough time with it to really find out how good it is.For windows Im not sure which ones work the best, I will know in a few days, im gonna give winblows a shot at its day in my court here soon, my new cpu/mobo/ram combo just arrived, figured Id try winblows for a minute and see what happens.

For copying dvd's I use a program written in C called dvdbackup, it rips the vob's as is with the dvd directory structure intact, only problem is it will do dual layer too, and I cant burn dual layer LOL, the source code is freely available, it could be ported to windows I would think with some work.I modified it a bit already so it will alert me of dual layer dvd's so I dont have to check em first.

i dig. I'm no programmer, so I'm kind of out of luck in making my own program.

As for DVDShrink, it is great. Immensley powerful, in copying anyway. Not breaking RCE or CSS encryptions, then it just sucks. I use it in conjunction with a little program called AnyDVD, which acts as an inbetween of the DVD drive and the program, tearing out the encryption. DVDShrink is great, you can adjust compression levels, give alot of quality to the movie and none to the menus or vice versa. I lower the quality to as low as I can on everything except the main movie, so the movie can get the most available resolution. It lowers the quality on the menus, but who cares, it's not like you spend two hours watching the menus trying to figure out what happens, but you cant because of lowsy quality.

I do have a cheap dvd drive, it's a dvd burner, and I got it for $58. When they first came out, and it was brand new. Got a deal, but, like everything, you get what you paid for. This is really a newer problem I am having with it, i think it is just on it's way out.

Library DVD's for me are always pretty scratched up, unless I manage to get my hands on a new release, but they are usually pretty good at resurfacing the DVD's. Although they havent been recently, looks like they are slacking.

I dont have the money right now to buy a new dvd drive, when I can still get some working-ness out of mine. I will have to do some research on a new backup program though.

I did some research over at XtremeSystems, and one of the big OC'ers over there (forget his name) said that Corsair is very bad for OCing and to go with only OCZ or G. Skill. ERveryone, and I mean EVERYONE, here states that Corsair is the absolute sh!t. I'm not going to believe him over the majority of people here, but does someone know why he would say such a drastic accusation?

Corsair is good ram, it's just not nearly as good as G. Skill or OCZ

Remeber xtremesystems people are extremeists

lol, this is true. Alright, you settled my anxiety about Corsair. I'm not looking for a huge OC on them, just a very slight one. I think I will go with the XMS sticks when I get paid. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom