Need some RAM suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So my RAM almost completely sh!t the bed the other day, Kingston ValueRAM, so I'm not too upset about it. But now it is time for an upgrade. Swell, upgrading is always fun. I'm going to get a new MoBo, some RAM, and maybe a new cpu, not entirely sure. But one thing at a time, for money reasons, so I'm going to go with some RAM right now. I want a gig, DDR400, and some pretty decent stuff. I'm not going to save money and buy cheap anymore, I realized the error of my ways, realized that you really do get what you pay for. So I'm going to invest in some real memory, it'll pay off. I dont game, I just have a computer and like power. Possibly interested in mild OCing, nothing spectacular in this peice.

I was thinking two sticks of these:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097

Good idea? My current specs are listed below. Any suggestions on memory would be nice. Money is a factor, but I am willing to spend some good money in order to get good memory.

That's a good price for Corsair, Man has Ram gotten cheaper. I heard 512 is plenty. I put a gig in this rig and I didn't notice ANY difference from 512. But like you I just wanted more!!!! Ya can't go wrong with Corsair. Do It!

He said he doesnt want value ram

Hell I paid more for value ram at xmas than what it is for XMS now :mad:

Thanks for the suggestion SkyHi, but, like I said, I dont want value ram. i've heard bad things about it, and I've only had one experience with value ram, and it was bad.

I had 512MB, and when I bumped up to a gig I noticed a WORLD of difference and performance increase. When i was at 512, if I was backing up a dvd and watching tv, I would get a dvd backup error and my entire system would crash. Then I threw the extra stick in, went to a gig, and now I can backup watch tv and do a few other things with little to no noticable performance loss. So I think a gig is totally worth it.

RAM is super cheap now. I remember when I got 32mb back in the day, and it cost well over $100. Now, shit, I cant get 16 times that amount for less than half the price! Thats RIDICULOUS! But, even in the past few weeks RAM prices have nearly plumetted. About 6 months ago I got a 1gb Kingston ValueRAM kit from ZZF and it was $180. And that was a rather killer price. Now I'm looking at very high end ram for $60 less for the same amount.

Definitely worthwhile for multi tasking. I was expecting a little bump in gaming.

kboy said:
Definitely worthwhile for multi tasking. I was expecting a little bump in gaming.

You dont really see a difference in gaming when you went from 512 to 1024? Man, I figured you would see a dramatic improvement.

Him said:
I had 512MB, and when I bumped up to a gig I noticed a WORLD of difference and performance increase. When i was at 512, if I was backing up a dvd and watching tv, I would get a dvd backup error and my entire system would crash. Then I threw the extra stick in, went to a gig, and now I can backup watch tv and do a few other things with little to no noticable performance loss. So I think a gig is totally worth it.

if your system was crashing cause of that, something was wrong, like bad RAM,bad software, or user error

Nah, I was backing up a dvd (Which alone uses 100% of my cpu) and then was also watching TV on WinDVR (Which is almost equally as demanding). I suppose I should also mention that when I bumped up to a gig I also went to dual channel with it. I'm relatively sure it was just because I had a small amount of RAM, because every once in a while when I'm under full load like that it lags and crashes once in a while. It may also be a cause of my P.O.S. motherboard.

Nonsense, I can duplicate same situation quite easily, with 128mb RAM and no crashes, matter of fact ive never even had a system crash due to anything other than user error in years.

Sounds like youve got a software problem.

a dvd backup may be cpu intensive, but it uses little RAM at all,same with a TV card unless its usb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom